This January, EPIP is highlighting the Measuring a Leader skill of Communications
- Communicate ideas and concepts clearly, persuasively, and dynamically
- Express ideas clearly through both verbal and written means
And can be demonstrated by…
- Writing blog posts or opinion pieces
- Presenting at work or in their local communities
Here are a few resources that can help strengthen your Communications skills. What are some of your favorite Communications resources? How would you describe what Communication skills look like? Share them in the comments section!
- Catalyzing Change with Communications and Comedy: Mik Moore and Miriam Fogelson of Moore + Associates, a cutting-edge communications firm experienced with foundations, nonprofits, political operations and a plethora of well-known public figures. Mik and Miriam led a fascinating 60-minute conversation about how we can all use creative, innovative and strategic communications to achieve our social change goals. They discussed how utilizing and investing in ongoing communications efforts is so important for effective change-making, especially since foundations and nonprofits are navigating an increasingly clamorous landscape. Participants learned about M+A’s work in movement building, social impact campaigns and progressive, comedic get-out-the-vote initiatives. They also learned how nonprofits and foundations can use communications and comedy to elevate their message and “be heard above the noise”.
EPIP Blog Posts
- How Toastmasters is Helping Me Become a Stronger Communicator: Alicia Barrett, a member of EPIP’s Washington D.C. chapter, reflects on how she practices her communication skills.
- How Can Fiction Make Us Think About Foundations Differently?: Social Media Fellow Sophia Guevara interviews Elizabeth Russell, a longtime nonprofit communications and writing consultant about Russell’s first mystery novel, set in the world of foundations.
- Achieve Great Things: The Art and Science of Aspirational Narrative
- Twenty Public Speaking Tips of the Best TED Talks
- The Public Speaker: Six Tips to Calm Your Nerves Before Speaking
- Quora users share tips on speed, pace, and words per minute for public speaking
- Twelve Tips for Not Sucking as a Panel Moderator
- How to Be a Great Moderator
EPIP Chapter Leaders Discuss Communications