About Global Health Corps
The extreme disparity in access to healthcare and health outcomes across our globe is unjust and unsustainable. Changing this status quo requires a new generation of leaders with diverse skills and backgrounds. These leaders need opportunities to build their skillsets and networks in pursuit of transformative change in healthcare.
Global Health Corps (GHC) recruits and mobilizes a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity. Passionate young leaders enter the GHC community by participating in a year-long, paid fellowship with an organization in sub-Saharan Africa. During the fellowship, they work in cross-national pairs on a wide range of areas that improve healthcare access and health outcomes for the poor. Fellows have built financial management systems for grassroots HIV organizations in Uganda, supported district pharmacies in Rwanda in rolling out new supply chain management tools, and conducted research on adolescent sexual and reproductive health services in Zambia. They also engage in intensive training, professional development, mentorship, and thoughtful community building. Each of our fellows has the capacity to change the world – and many already are. We are grateful to work closely with them to amplify their impact.
Since its founding in 2009, Global Health Corps has supported more than 1000 fellows working on health issues and health equity across the globe. Adaptive and innovative, GHC leaders are ready and able to solve tomorrow’s health problems, today.
Global Health Corps (GHC) seeks a strategic, nimble, systems thinker and executor to join us as our Vice President of Operations (VPO). Our VPO will oversee and manage our finance, compliance, human resources, fellowship admissions operations, technology, and office administration functions. They will ensure our organization’s resources are effectively managed and strategically deployed as we pursue our mission and strategic priorities.
Our ideal candidate has the skills and mindsets necessary to thrive as a senior leader in a fast-paced, mission-driven, start-up environment. They are collaborative, client-driven, and solutions-oriented. They are able to both strategize and execute individually and through layers to reach ambitious goals and outcomes. They have the ability and energy to drive effective operations by working with staff from a range of teams and cultures spread across several countries and time zones. They are ready and able to manage a committed team of 6 while also working cross-functionally with ~30 full-time staff in New York and across the globe.
Our Vice President of Operations will sit on our senior leadership team and report directly to our CEO.
Organizational Leadership & Stewardship
- Serve as a strategic and tactical right-hand to the CEO on people, operations, and finance matters
- Partner with the senior leadership team to define and execute the organization’s overarching priorities
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Programs to lead the annual organizational planning process
- Develop - and position the organization to operate in alignment with - strategies, budget, and headcount planning for the remaining years of our 2019-2022 strategic plan
Staff Resources & Operations
- Ensure GHC staff operate in a fiscally responsible, budget-aligned, and financially compliant fashion
- Position staff to consistently operate in a fashion that minimizes legal and operational risk and maximizes compliance
- Supervise the Admissions and Operations Manager + Senior Associate of Admissions as they design and manage our fellow recruitment, selection, and placement processes
- Implement and manage the Health Safety, and Security (HSS) program for our staff and our fellows
- Oversee the work our People team takes on to support and steward staff through all phases of the employee life cycle
- Equip the organization with the systems, technology, and infrastructure necessary to operate in an efficient, effective, secure fashion
- Maintain a dotted line relationship with operational staff in GHC’s focus countries to ensure they are set up for operational excellence at all times
Team Management & Development
- Manage and develop a team of 6 staff working across the finance, people, admissions operations, compliance, technology, and office administration functions
- At least 12 years of work experience in operations, finance, and human resources required
- Significant knowledge of best-in-class people and talent practices
- Adept at developing a budget, managing financial oversight, and leading a team through a budgeting process
- Capable of positioning Global Health Corps to have the technology and administration necessary to operate efficiently and effectively
- Experience scaling systems and solutions for a growth-stage organization
- Skilled at coaching, developing, and managing early-career and more seasoned professionals
- Successful in building & leveraging relationships across lines of differences and a range of cultures
- Drawn to both strategize and execute; moreover, able to do so quickly and in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Passionate about global health equity and committed to social justice
- Committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment
- Invested in consistently operating as a steward of Global Health Corps’ mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or comparable master’s degree highly preferred
- Experience living or working in sub-Saharan Africa highly preferred
- Willing and able to travel internationally at least 3-4 times each year
- Willing and able to occasionally work on weekends or evenings
Our Philosophy and Benefits
Global Health Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or other characteristics or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
We embrace and value diverse skillsets and backgrounds. We are a community of leaders who are proud to represent many different national, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, religious, gender, and other identities. We represent varied professional backgrounds, collaborating across fields and sectors to form a powerful, close-knit network of changemakers. Our diversity as a community is our strength, driving our ability to be empathetic, visionary, and effective leaders in the health equity movement, and engage with the world with dignity and respect.
GHC works to ensure our culture, infrastructure, and benefits allow staff to embody our values of shared integrity, inclusive collaboration, sustainable resilience, and continuous learning. GHC offers a competitive benefits plan, such as health insurance, 401(k), paid time off, paid parental leave, flexible work schedule, and professional and career development.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply online here: https://jobs.lever.co/ghcorps/52a60f5c-3ff2-4e2d-ac99-21bbdcb5e83f
*This job description reflects Global Health Corps’ assignments of essential functions and qualifications for this role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign, reassign, or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.