About the Organization
Centered on a groundbreaking model of rapid response grantmaking, Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights (UAF) supports the urgent needs of courageous women, trans and gender non-conforming human rights defenders around the world in times of crisis or opportunity. Our model protects and advances the civil, political and social rights of women and LGBTI people, and invests in the resilience of social justice movements, including environmental, feminist, indigenous, land rights, youth, and LGBTI movements. Founded in 1997, UAF is a member of a network of four independent “Sister Funds” that collectively support frontline women’s rights activists around the world. With an annual revenue of $7 Million, UAF’s work within this network centers on support for activists and social movements in the Middle East, Europe and Central Asia, and North America.
About the Position
The Director of Partnerships leads the development and communications work at UAF as it generates revenue; builds a community of donor activists; communicates impact in a clear, engaging manner; and develops partnerships with peers and funders (including individuals, private foundations and bilateral/multilateral donors) that bring new resources to UAF, activists and movements worldwide. The position directly manages a Development & Communication Coordinator and Philanthropic Engagement Officer. The position is based in Oakland, CA or New York, NY (preferred) with 30% domestic and international travel.
- Lead the development and communications team in developing strategy for the team, providing guidance, and setting and evaluating team objectives with input from others
- Oversee and manage a portfolio of major donors, foundations and government funders and prospects
- Develop annual fundraising and communications targets; implement work plans; monitor progress; and assess and adjust progress and strategies, as needed
- Coordinate with the “Sister Funds” to ensure respectful, accurate, and timely creation of joint proposals and reports
- Negotiate partnerships with peer organizations for UAF that attract government or foundation support to the organization and represent UAF in such collaborative initiatives
- Provide reports to the Executive Director and Board on fundraising and communications progress
- Work with Senior Learning & Impact Officer to develop impact statements about UAF’s programs
- As a member of the leadership team, participate in the organization’s annual budgeting process, help to solve problems and set plans for the organization
- With the Development & Communication Coordinator, shape the framing and messaging of UAF’s story and impact in both print and online media, including donor collaterals and a case for support
- Shares the values of the organization: integrity, feminisms, wellbeing, justice, courage, and mindful engagement
- Is emotionally intelligent and works collaboratively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including program staff and external consultants
- Works methodically with attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information
- Enjoys forming new relationships that connect others to UAF and build a community of donor-activists
- Is goal-oriented, driven, strategic, and energetic in creative pursuit of organizational and team goals
- Thrives in a small team atmosphere with highly collaborative and consensus-driven activists
- Is flexible with the ability to wear a number of different hats and juggle many tasks simultaneously
- Minimum 7 to 10 years of management experience in nonprofit and/or philanthropic fundraising, grantmaking and/or communications with a degree in business, communications or related fields
- Communications and relationship-building expertise with experience strategically representing organizations or programs to diverse constituencies
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, preferably with experience raising funds annually of at least $7M from a cultivated, diverse pool including institutional funders and individual donors
- Experience successfully leading and managing a staff of at least 2-3, including mentoring, ensuring staff development, cultivating culture and providing inspirational and effective leadership
- Experience in negotiation and collaborative partnership development
- Experience with moves management, donor engagement tools, outreach to donors, securing meetings, and soliciting gifts
- Experience preparing proposals and reports for funders and developing the case for support for social justice or human rights-oriented work
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Team-oriented, collaborative, and comfortable working across cultures and time zones
- Passion for social justice and human rights, including women’s rights and LGBTQI equality
How to Apply
UAF is partnering with Walker and Associates Consulting – an Oakland-based, national strategic management consulting and search firm – to facilitate this search. To apply, email a cover letter, resume and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to your references) to UAF@walkeraac.com on or before 5:00 p.m. PST on Friday, May 15, 2020. Use the subject line: Director of Partnerships Search. Please submit PDF or Microsoft Word files only, preferably with all materials in one combined file. Resume review begins immediately. Questions or Nominations? Contact Jeannine Walker at email@example.com.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $135,000 to $150,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes a comprehensive benefits package (health, dental, retirement, flex spending for medical and transit) and flexible remote work options.
Urgent Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. In order to build the strongest possible workforce, UAF actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.