New York, NY
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building, philanthropic advocacy, and media and communications programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression, promote justice and claim rights.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Strategic Communications Project Coordinator
Astraea’s Hearts & Minds Project aims to strengthen the capacity of Kenyan LGBTQI activists to make cultural change, or as some call it, to “change hearts and minds” in their respective communities and contexts. Through partnerships with social science organizations and communications resource people, LGBTQI activists will gain a deeper understanding of the mindset of the audiences they aim to shift and gain tools to integrate research & evidence into development of impactful and culturally-relevant framing and messaging campaigns.
Reporting to the Director of the LGBTI Global Development Partnership, the Strategic Communications Project Coordinator will manage the overall implementation of the project, liaising between Astraea’s internal systems and key external partners and stakeholders.
This is a 20-month part-time staff position to work from January 2017 to September 2018.
- Liaison for coordination between Astraea staff and project stakeholders
- Supervise project workplan and timeline
- Support administration of approvals, payments, due diligence, procurement, and grantmaking activities of project
- Provide logistical support for convenings and other in-country activities
- Track and support the allocation of the project budget
- Coordinate reporting requirements, results tracking and M&E
- Coordinate activities of program intern
- Other duties and responsibilities as identified.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines while maintaining consistent attention to detail
- Experience with LGBTQI, feminist, human rights and/or social justice movements
- Experience with activism in Africa a plus
- High level of proficiency with computers, databases and other technology, particularly online collaboration and project management tools.
- Ability to work and communicate with diverse audiences and stakeholders, including activists, social science experts and donors
- Strong interpersonal skills and a supportive team player
- Flexible, adaptive and proactive work style, and a sense of humor
- Very good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in English required
- Commitment to the work and social justice values of Astraea
- People of color, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, women, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Authorization to work in the United States is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter, resume/CV, and salary requirements to [email protected] by December 2, 2017. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants considered for interviews will be contacted. Expected start date is January 9, 2017.