Foundation for a Just Society (FJS) supports innovative, intersectional, grassroots strategies that meet immediate needs while igniting long-term, structural change in communities and regions that have been overlooked by philanthropy. We support the entire ecosystem of transformative movements — across issues and regions — by following the lead of marginalized women, girls, and LGBTQI people who catalyze change every day in their communities and countries. FJS shares resources to strengthen the movements that create a world where all people are valued and lead self-determined lives. Through direct grantmaking, capacity building, strategic communications, and leadership in philanthropy, we advance the human rights of marginalized women, girls, and LGBTQI people globally. While FJS works internationally, our geographic focus areas are: Central America, Francophone West Africa, South and Southeast Asia, and the US Southeast.
The newly created Special Assistant position will support the CEO of a growing, values-driven, private foundation in ways that enable her to focus on the most important aspects of her leadership. It combines high-level administrative duties with tasks related to Board engagement, internal communications and knowledge management, and special initiatives. The role coordinates a wide range of important, cross-functional projects to achieve organizational goals by supporting the CEO, Board of Directors and, to a lesser degree, the Leadership Team (Chief Financial Officer and Director of Programs). The ideal candidate is ambitious, highly analytical, a natural collaborator, and approaches the position with enthusiasm and positivity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the CEO’s calendar for meetings, appointments, and scheduling
- Make travel arrangements for CEO and Board members
- Maintain contact lists and other filing systems (online and offline)
- Reconcile expenses for CEO and Director of Programs
Board Engagement (40%)
- Support the CEO in tasks related to Board learning and engagement, such as researching and coordinating speakers, curating relevant reports and news articles, and preparing activity and strategy updates
- Assist in the planning and implementation of Board meetings, including logistics, taking minutes, prioritizing action items, and collecting information to facilitate decision making
- Maintain Board Effect, an online tool that enables communications, document sharing, and approval processes
- Arrange site visits and organize Board meetings
Internal Communications/Knowledge Management (30%)
- Draft correspondence on behalf of CEO
- Proofread documents and presentation materials
- Conduct research and analysis
- Prepare briefings and presentations for meetings and travel
- Document internal and external meetings
- Identify opportunities to streamline information flows among CEO, Board, and Leadership Team
- Create processes and systems to support information exchange
Special Initiatives (10%)
- Oversee the planning and logistics for the Foundation’s meetings, activities, and events, including strategy meetings, funder briefings, presentations, and conferences
- Assess requests and invitations
Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Strong knowledge of philanthropy and women’s human rights and social justice movements
- Demonstrated commitment to feminism and alignment with the Foundation’s values
- Skilled project manager: meticulous, exceptionally organized, cooperative, ability to think ahead and anticipate needs
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including composition, proofreading and editing
- High attention to detail, accuracy, and deadlines; ability to prioritize
- Personable yet professional with a strong customer service orientation
- Self-motivated and independent, takes initiative, and willingness to patiently and proactively work through challenges that arise
- Possesses sound judgment, critical thinking skills, and maintains confidentiality at all times
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google’s G Suite
- Ability to occasionally work flexible hours (weekends/evenings) and travel occasionally domestically and internationally
- Eligibility to work in the United States
FJS offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, generous vacation, and a collegial working environment. We are dedicated to promoting an environment of collaboration and work-life balance.
FJS deeply values equity and inclusion and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals from underrepresented backgrounds, including gender identity and expression, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Fluency in Spanish and/or French preferred
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
Email a concise and compelling cover letter and your resume in one PDF to [email protected] by 5PM EST on October 19, 2018. Please include “Special Assistant to CEO – YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
All applications must be received via email. No phone inquiries please.