Blue Meridian Partners is a results-driven model that is unlocking unprecedented resources for solving problems that trap youth and families in poverty and limit economic mobility.
Blue Meridian brings the mindset of an investor to its philanthropic work, viewing grants as investments that serve as flexible, upfront growth capital for organizations and pay dividends in the form of measurable social progress. Blue Meridian takes a rigorous, strategic approach to grantmaking: identifying, funding and scaling the most promising strategies poised to make a national impact.
We provide social sector leaders with the growth capital they require (up to $200 million) to reach their full potential. We provide philanthropists with a way to deploy their capital effectively, while sharing the costs, risks and rewards of our collaborative investments.
Launched in 2015 and building on the Edna McConnell Clark Foundation’s nearly 20 years of experience, Blue Meridian has built a strong portfolio of “investees,” committed a total of $350 million to back the first phases of their scaling plans, and pooled $1.7 billion from more than a dozen a group of philanthropists.
Blue Meridian has recently announced plans to continue to grow and become an independent organization. As part of our next chapter, we seek strategic and collaborative team members who share our commitment to building a better future for our nation’s youth and families, and to expanding the impact of strategies that work.
The Senior Associate, Portfolio Strategy & Management, supports and helps develop a portfolio of investments in high-performing nonprofits with proven strategies to improve the life trajectories of economically disadvantaged youth and families. He/she is also responsible for supporting all the Blue Meridian Managing Directors in diverse activities, including working closely with Blue Meridian investees, reporting on performance to Blue Meridian management and Partners, and leading projects pursuant to Blue Meridian’s strategic priorities.
New York City
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
Support Relationships with Investee Organizations
With senior team members’ guidance and collaboration, the Senior Associate, Portfolio Strategy and Management, will:
- Contribute toward investee leaders and their teams’ receiving excellent relationship management and support from Blue Meridian. Earn and maintain the respect of investees and be a trusted point of contact.
- Support the development and implementation of investee scaling plans. Help craft performance milestones with investees and chart a roadmap for success.
- Take ownership of investee quarterly performance reports, capturing current performance, risks, and future potential. Prepare materials and talking points for Partner updates.
- Design, participate in, and sometimes facilitate investee meetings, strategy sessions and performance reviews.
- Lead research, conduct interviews, and analyze data to support Blue Meridian’s sourcing and due diligence efforts to explore potential investment opportunities.
Contribute to Innovation Initiatives
To expand our work and enhance our competitiveness, Blue Meridian will develop from time to time “innovation initiatives.”. These will typically be cross-staffed by members of the Blue Meridian team on a part-time basis, depending on their skills and experience as well as team members’ interests wherever possible. With senior team members’ guidance and collaboration, the Senior Associate, Portfolio Strategy and Management, will:
- Contribute to and sometimes lead activities that may include project planning and management, research, developing strategies, concepts and proposals, and developing and implementing new programs.
- At least seven years of professional/advanced academic experience in finance, management consulting, philanthropy, economic mobility, social justice or a related field in the private or public sector are required. Knowledge of or experience working in the direct-service nonprofit field is an advantage. An advanced degree with a concentration in business administration or public policy is preferred but not required.
- A passion for issues affecting children and youth, as well as social justice.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship skills, with the ability to represent Blue Meridian externally in alignment with its core values and culture.
- Sophisticated and diverse analytical skills and facility in quantitative and qualitative methods are ess
- Experience in building and maintaining performance measurement systems/reporting.
- Strong oral and written communications skills are essential, including the ability to present to senior groups and craft well-written prose and PowerPoint materials.
- Demonstrated strategic and highly rigorous professional approach, balanced by a flexible and empathetic demeanor and responsiveness to the needs of investees, teammates and Partners.
- Sound judgment and discretion, seeking input and feedback, listening well and sometimes making difficult decisions independently while understanding the need for collaboration and leadership’s endorsement of results. Open to finding creative, alternative solutions to challenges and disagreements that may arise.
- Results-oriented, with a track record of executing against agreed goals and deliverables.
- Strong computer skills with extensive knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and the ability to master new software quickly; experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM and SharePoint is a plus.
- Able to travel approximately 20% of work time.
Salary & Benefits
Total compensation includes an annual base salary that falls in the $90,000 to $100,000 range, the potential for an annual incentive award based on performance, and an exceptional benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 403b retirement plan with employer contributions and generous time off. Base salary will be set commensurate with chosen candidate’s knowledge, skill and experience.
How to Apply
For consideration, please include the following in your application:
- cover letter
- writing sample
Please send your application to [email protected]. Be sure to include “Senior Associate, Portfolio Strategy & Management” in the subject line and let us know where you found our job post.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please.
The Edna McConnell Clark Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, elderly and disabled candidates to apply. We appreciate all applicants, but due to the anticipated volume of submissions, we will only be able to respond to those who are best qualified for the position.
 This position description is a guide to the primary duties and functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and work environment conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and may be revised to meet the changing needs of Blue Meridian Partners at the sole discretion of management.