The Schott Foundation for Public Education’s mission is to develop and strengthen a broad-based and representative movement to achieve fully resourced, quality preK-12 public education, giving every child an opportunity to learn. Schott’s core belief is that only a grassroots movement can lead to systemic change in the disparities poor children and children of color face in our country’s schools. In helping to build this movement, Schott recognizes its pivotal role as both funder and advocate in the social justice arena.
The Program Assistant will play an integral role in supporting the Schott Foundation’s Vice President of Programs & Advocacy with various administrative duties to support the day-to-day operations of the program team, ensuring efficient and effective flow of the work. Key responsibilities include tracking of program projects, reporting and information sharing, as well as financial and budgetary support, meeting and event coordination, and other administrative support for the Vice President.
We’re looking for an individual with strong writing experience, excellent project management skills, and a firm commitment to social justice, who is interested in deepening their understanding of philanthropic program strategy in the non-profit sector. This is a paid, part-time position (20 hours/week).
Location: New York, New York
- Maintain and organize financial information for the program team, completing monthly expense reports, credit card reports, and filing paper work
- Track and complete disbursement requests
- Maintain documentation on program purchases
Meeting and Event Coordination
- Arrange bi-weekly program meetings and working sessions, taking and distributing notes
- Support and organize the logistics for key meetings for grantees and donors
- Coordinate participation in professional conferences
- Assist with travel reservations and planning
- Prepare mail and shipments for program team
- Maintain contact information for partners
- Design and format monthly program reports and other communications
- Ensure smooth functioning of programs and advocacy team
- Write brief blogposts based on news items, events, or new reports.
- Attend local events on behalf of the program team, live-tweet and write up in blogposts.
- Complete various research projects and data analysis as required for program projects.
- Participate in program team and full staff meetings as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 1 year experience working in an office setting
- Bachelor’s degree desired from an accredited college or university
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, flexible, good sense of humor
- Interest or experience in these areas is a plus: philanthropy, community organizing, public education, school finance, or social justice.
- Outstanding interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Close attention to details.
- Highly organized with effective time management.
- Ability to multitask and work both independently and in a team to complete tasks and projects.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Schott Foundation for Public Education is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and multicultural workplace.