The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building, philanthropic advocacy, and media and communications programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression, promote justice and claim rights.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Program Officer
Astraea seeks a dedicated, passionate and collaborative Program Officer to sustain our international grantmaking and join our Program Team. With specific focus areas determined based on the successful candidate’s background, the Program Officer develops country and thematic strategies, manages relationships with grantee partners, engages in capacity building and advocacy in philanthropy, and participates in learning and evaluation of Astraea’s programs. The Program Officer reports to Astraea’s Associate Director of Programs and may be based in their respective location or in Astraea’s New York office.
- Develop and manage diverse international LGBTQI rights grantmaking portfolios in Africa and Asia including designing strategies and budgets, conducting outreach to applicants, writing and disseminating requests for proposals, soliciting input from activists and advisors, writing grant summaries and recommending grants for approval;
- Manage relationships with grantee partners, including maintaining ongoing communication, engaging in networking, and conducting site visits;
- Provide capacity building support to grantee partners, including identification of technical assistance resources and assistance with resource mobilization;
- Participate in program evaluation, including monitoring grantee progress, analyzing contexts, and gathering and analyzing information related to Astraea’s contributions;
- Manage relationships with Astraea’s international activist advisors, as well as allies and networks;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of issues and trends facing LGBTQI organizations globally, particularly in Astraea’s geographic and thematic focus areas;
- Represent Astraea at conferences and donor affinity groups and other public fora to further Astraea’s philanthropic advocacy goals;
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Programs and Development team to help secure and retain resources for Astraea’s programs;
- Work collaboratively with the Communications team to develop materials that highlight the work of Astraea grantee partners and support Astraea’s strategic goals; and,
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent work experience
- Experience in LGBTQI, feminist, human rights and/or social justice movements
- Knowledge of the needs and issues affecting LGBTQI communities and activists facing multiple oppressions, especially in Africa and/or Asia - candidates with substantive experience in either of these regions are welcome to apply
- Grantmaking experience prefered but not required
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines while maintaining consistent attention to detail
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions with limited resources
- Very good verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation and public speaking
- Ability to work and communicate with diverse audiences and stakeholders, including activists, donors and community members
- English proficiency and fluency in a second language related to Astraea’s grantmaking strongly prefered, particularly French or Mandarin
- Commitment to the work and social justice values of Astraea
- Ability to travel internationally up to 25% of work schedule.
- Experience with training, capacity building, and participatory design/popular education a plus
- Interest and/or knowledge of Strategic Communications, Digital Security, Internet Freedom, participatory design/popular education a plus
- People of color, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, women, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply on our website at https://www.astraeafoundation.org/join-us/join-our-team/ or send cover letter, resume/CV, and salary requirements to email@example.com by Tuesday, January 30, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants considered for interviews will be contacted.