Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
New York, NY
Part time (16 hours/week), non-exempt
The mission of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is to improve the quality of people's lives through grants supporting the performing arts, environmental conservation, medical research and child well-being, and through preservation of the cultural and environmental legacy of Doris Duke's properties. The Environment Program’s mission is to enable communities to protect and manage wildlife habitat and create efficient built environments. In addition, the awareness of climate change as the greatest emerging threat to biodiversity—and the need to aggressively mitigate it without unnecessarily sacrificing habitat—shapes the Environment Program’s grant-making priorities.
The Program Assistant for the Environment Program (EP) plays a critical role on the small EP team. He/she is responsible for advancing important functions of the program, including managing and overseeing administrative, budgeting and communications matters. While most work is under the direction of the Program Director and Program Officer, the Program Assistant is expected to exercise discretion and independent judgment in the execution of his/her duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize departmental schedules, meetings and materials;
- Handle department correspondence, filing, copying, scanning and database organization;
- Utilize the grants database (GIFTS) to ensure the proper issuance of grant-related correspondence and up-to-date recordkeeping;
- Make travel arrangements, process travel reimbursements, invoices and honoraria;
- Plan and manage event logistics (e.g., identify vendors for meeting locations, catering, lodging, etc.) for 1-3 program-related meetings per year;
- Draft contracts for vendors and consultants;
- Other administrative tasks as required.
Budget & Accounting
- Track and process all expenses and manage costs within the program budget;
- Make purchasing decisions, process purchase orders and receive goods;
- Manage EP’s annual operating budget for the Program Director’s review and approval.
- Serve as program liaison for general inquiries, grantees and consultants;
- Maintain and update all aspects of EP’s section of the foundation’s website using online content management system (training will be provided), including editing and proofing content;
- Collaborate with the foundation’s Communications Department to monitor media coverage of EP’s grants, grantees and other program activities;
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field;
- 2+ years’ work experience in a professional setting;
- Strong computer and Internet skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Experience with accounting, grants management and web content applications (training will be provided);
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail;
- Versatility and ability to manage many projects and priorities simultaneously;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Self-motivation with team player mentality and ability to also work cooperatively and positively with other employees in a diverse and multicultural office environment.
The Program Assistant will be expected to work 16 hours per week. Scheduling can be flexible, although working five days a week (Monday-Friday) is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume with cover letter to [email protected] Include your last name followed by “Environment Program Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until December 16, 2016, or until candidate is placed.
No phone calls or in-person applications, please. It is the policy of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation to afford equal employment opportunity to all individuals, and we firmly adhere to the equal employment opportunity requirements of all states and localities in which we operate.