The Bernard and Anne Spitzer Charitable Trust is a progressive family foundation. Its mission is to support advocacy for social change that promotes human dignity and contributes to a more just, democratic, and environmentally sustainable world. The Trust is seeking an energetic, highly organized, and talented individual to serve as a Program Assistant (PA) in the Trust’s Environment Program. The Environment Program supports work to manage the risks of climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and enhancing the resiliency of human and environmental systems. The Program supports analysis and advocacy to accelerate the development and deployment of a range of affordable and abundant climate technologies, including advanced renewables, nuclear power, carbon capture, and carbon removal.
The Program Assistant will work closely with the Program Officer for the Environment on administrative and programmatic matters, providing support across all stages of grantmaking. As the Trust has a small staff, employees coordinate closely, and everyone contributes to the office’s administrative operations. Accordingly, the Program Assistant will be responsible for helping with meeting preparation, scheduling, and other tasks as needed.
- Assist program officer in responding to inquiries and requests for information from grantees, applicants and others.
- Plan and coordinate logistics for meetings and events, including site visits.
- Manage program officer’s calendar.
- Support program officer in reviewing applications and reports and in monitoring grantee progress.
- Draft and edit grant recommendation memos, program overviews, and other board materials and communications.
- Help maintain grants database, budget spreadsheets and grant calendars, and coordinate grant processes for the programs.
- Assist in coordination for and implementation of the Trust’s board meetings, including helping to develop and edit materials and presentations on issues of relevance to the Foundation’s grantmaking.
- Assist with special projects and other duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, interpersonally and in writing, and will be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated interest in the mission, goals and values of the Trust and its programs.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree and 2-4 years of professional experience, preferably in the nonprofit or foundation sectors.
- Strong project management abilities, e.g., planning, administrative, and organizational skills; excellent attention to detail, ability to manage time efficiently, meet deadlines, and work independently with minimal guidance.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with grants management or other online database software (preferred but not required).
- Experience managing calendars and scheduling.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills that support positive partnerships and collegial relationships; capable of communicating effectively with grantees, board, staff, and program partners.
- Well-developed problem-solving skills; willingness to ask questions and seek assistance if needed.
- Comfort with ambiguity and willingness to be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Goodwill, a sense of humor, and a commitment to collegiality in a small team.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes four weeks paid vacation, medical, dental, and vision benefits, retirement savings plan with employer contribution, and summer Friday schedule.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Environment Program Assistant – YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
The application deadline is May 31, 2019. No phone calls please.
The Bernard and Anne Spitzer Charitable Trust values equity and inclusion and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of underrepresented backgrounds, including (but not limited to) gender identity and expression, race, religion, and sexual orientation.