About TCC Group
TCC Group collaborates with leaders to solve complex social problems. As a mission-driven consulting firm and certified B Corporation, TCC Group partners with foundations, nonprofits, and companies to propel positive social change through strategy, capacity building, initiative design, strategic communication, management, and evaluation. We design and implement solutions for social impact by immersing ourselves in interconnected communities and systems, co-creating innovative and effective processes, and applying and sharing our experience with the field.
TCC Group is built on the commitment and experience of our people. We are a diverse group of inspired problem-solvers—committed to collaborative learning and our collective contribution to building an effective social sector. People come here to make an impact, and we seek engaged, driven, and inspired individuals to join our team.
At TCC Group you have the opportunity to develop new skills, gain new experiences, and grow as we learn from each other. You will put your expertise, energy, and creativity to work in the service of doing good.
About TCC Group’s Philanthropy Practice
TCC Group’s Philanthropy Practice line works with independent, public, community, and family foundations investing on a local, regional, national, and global scale. We prioritize working with foundations committed to advancing equity and social change. Our funder partners invest in a wide array of issues (including education and early childhood, civic engagement and community power building, health equity, comprehensive immigration reform and refugee rights, human rights, LGBTQ rights, women’s rights, economic justice, and more). They support different approaches (direct service, advocacy, community organizing, civic engagement, research, policy), using a variety of tools – grantmaking, collaboration, convening, and capacity building – to advance their aims. As consultants on both time-limited projects and longer-term efforts, our foundation partners engage us to guide, strengthen, and support their work in order to enhance their effectiveness and impact.
The Philanthropy practice line’s work falls into two overall service areas: strategy and foundation management. Broadly put, the strategy services we are called on to provide typically include strategic planning, program strategy development and implementation, field landscape analysis, qualitative reports, design and facilitation of funder collaboration, initiative development, funder learning and evaluation, and foundation start-up, governance, and organizational design. Foundation management services include hosting, managing, and supporting back office and programmatic services for unstaffed foundations, on whose behalf we grant roughly $25 million/year.
Our team is highly strategic, relationship-focused, and driven by the priorities of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Many of us have served as program officers and directors of progressive foundations and/or funder collaboratives. We bring a commitment to progressive social change, strong analytic chops, keen listening skills, knowledge of foundation and nonprofit practices, enthusiasm for teamwork, and an appetite for using our best social and emotional skills to help foundation clients critically reflect and learn, embrace change, and strengthen their work.
About the Position
TCC is currently seeking one or two full-time staff members to join our Philanthropy team as a Consultant and/or an Associate Consultant. We will determine job position responsive to the applicant pool. The new team member/s will manage and/or support management of diverse foundation projects as described above. We are looking for individuals who are able to take initiative yet comfortable working closely with supervisors and in team settings; enjoy partnering with diverse staff and clients; can juggle work on multiple projects simultaneously; and are stimulated by working within a fast-paced, dynamic environment. As this is client-centered work, strong communication skills and a demonstrated track record of successful relationship management is highly desirable. Knowledge of philanthropy and prior consulting experience are strongly preferable; commitment to TCC Group and Philanthropy team values is essential.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
As our client engagements are dynamic, different skills and tasks are required depending on the projects to which Consultants/Associate Consultants are tasked at any given time. This said, typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Providing day-to-day project management
- Developing project work scopes and budgets
- Managing work flow as well as monitoring and regularly communicating progress on project work plans
- Interfacing with the Project Lead and other project team member to ensure coordination, production of products, and efficient collaboration among team members
- Managing client relationships and maintaining regular communication (i.e., telephone, email) with client project liaison
- Collaboratively identifying project needs and/or challenges, and working with TCC Project Lead to resolve them
- Monitoring Philanthropy practice line revenue and individual project budgets
- Overseeing administrative components managed by the Philanthropy Team’s Administrative Assistant (i.e., scheduling, travel arrangement, meeting logistics), working closely with Administrative Assistant
Data Collection and Analysis
- Helping conduct and analyze interviews, focus groups, and survey data (e.g., with foundation board members, staff, grantees, researchers, policy makers, etc.)
- Reviewing and summarizing secondary data (e.g., philanthropy field research reports, foundation organizational, strategy, and/or program materials, governance and organizational charts, grantee reports, evaluation studies, etc.)
- Participating in team meetings to collectively develop findings and recommendations
- Supporting development of materials presenting analysis and recommendations for clients
Facilitation and Presentation
- Supporting the Philanthropy team in planning and facilitating meetings with foundation boards, staff, and other stakeholders
- Developing meeting agendas and meeting reports
- Preparing dynamic, visually appealing client-ready presentations (e.g., PowerPoint reports, narrative documents, tables and graphs, etc.)
- With Philanthropy Team Grants Manager, providing TCC project management of long-term hosted foundations
- Reviewing and analyzing grantee materials (e.g., proposals, reports, budgets)
- Preparing board dockets (e.g. grantee organizational write-ups and specialized research reports)
- Attending board meetings, providing summary notes, and supporting grantee follow up as needed
- Providing research and analysis, as requested by foundation clients
Ongoing Cross-Team and Cross-Organization Collaboration
- Drafting proposals, budget scopes and workplans for prospective foundation engagements
- Researching and reporting on current and/or prospective foundation partners
- Helping teams prepare for and participating in meetings with prospective clients
- Contributing to Philanthropy team field-facing reports, social media, internal and external publications and webinars
- Participating in TCC Group learning opportunities, collaborative meetings, celebrations, etc.
Desired Skills and Background
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in a relevant field preferred
- A minimum of 3 years (for Associate Consultant) and 5 years (for Consultant) of relevant work (i.e., project management, strategy, qualitative research, and organizational development)
- Strongly preferred:
- Previous experience in philanthropy
- Previous experience in consulting
- History of work with diverse communities and across social, economic and cultural differences
- Commitment to firm mission-driven values: Experience working to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) and progressive social change.
- Project management skills: Demonstrated track record conceiving of work plans, developing and/or improving systems, monitoring work progress, coordinating among team members (including remote staff and affiliate consultants), monitoring time and budgets
- Analytic skills: Demonstrated ability to digest, tease out, and report on key themes in qualitative data (interviews, focus groups, research reports), develop analytic matrices, and support presentation of findings in accessible ways that support client learning
- Oral and writing skills: Ability to convey complex and often sensitive information in clear and lucid written reports, memos, and PowerPoint presentations. Ability to interface with clients clearly, respectfully, and straightforwardly in dynamic situations.
- Social and emotional skills: Reflective and committed to personal and professional growth. Confident and comfortable working with diverse colleagues and colleagues in a team setting. Self-initiating and proactive, coupled with ability to take direction/supervision and feedback from multiple team members. Ability to straightforwardly and candidly problem-solve with supervisors to ensure success. Capacity to form connections and interface effectively with client and in-house staff across all levels. Congenial, collaborative, and committed to strengthening a respectful work place within TCC and with foundation client partners. Sense of humor a plus!
- Technology knowledge: Skills (advanced preferred, intermediate essential) in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint); internet search engines and databases; project management tools (e.g. Airtable), virtual meeting platforms (Zoom preferred) and SurveyMonkey and SoGoSurvey
Please submit a resume and cover letter using the following link, https://bit.ly/2X2I1eJ. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Location: NYC – Midtown
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience; competitive benefits package.
No telephone calls or emails, please.
TCC Group is an equal opportunity employer. Each position at the firm is filled by the best qualified applicant available. The firm does not discriminate against employees or applicants on any legally protected basis, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, veteran's status, age, or disability which does not interfere with an individual's ability to perform the essential functions of his or her job position with or without reasonable accommodation. The firm will provide equal opportunities in hiring, promotions, wages, benefits and other privileges, terms and conditions of employment. It is our policy to encourage promotion from among present employees, subject to the application of the best-qualified employee.