About The Shed
The Shed commissions original works of art, across all disciplines, for all audiences. From hip hop to classical music, painting and sculpture to literature, film to theater and dance, The Shed brings together leading and emerging artists and thinkers from all disciplines under one roof. The building—a remarkable movable structure designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with Rockwell Group—physically transforms to support artists' most ambitious ideas. Committed to nurturing artistic invention and bringing creative experiences to the broadest possible audiences, The Shed, led by Artistic Director and CEO Alex Poots, is a 21st-century space of and for New York City.
About the Position
The Shed seeks a Membership Manager to join a highly skilled development team. The Membership Manager will report to the Director of Individual Giving to oversee membership programs. The Membership Assistant will report to the Membership Manager.
The Membership Manager will oversee the planning and execution of a comprehensive membership program, driving strategies to acquire and retain members with a forward-thinking, 21st-century approach that fits with the program and ethos of The Shed. This position will be responsible for fulfilling member benefits in a creative manner around a fast-paced program calendar. The ideal candidate has a passion for arts and culture, an entrepreneurial mindset, and a track record of success in managing and growing membership programs and campaigns across a broad-based constituency using all channels (on-site acquisition, mail, email, social media, etc.). They will be grounded in best practices, but not afraid to think beyond a “typical” museum or performing arts-focused membership program.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Lead the vision, direction, and day-to-day operations of an innovative, 21st-century membership program
- Manage the strategy, planning, administration, implementation, and tracking of all membership efforts; this includes developing a robust event and cultivation program, as well as all marketing campaigns for membership acquisition, retention, and upgrades to maximize financial support and engagement
- Develop creative ideas for member engagement through communications, events, and special experiences at The Shed
- Directly supervise the Membership Assistant; motivate and set the tone by demonstrating a pleasant, engaging, customer-oriented attitude
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to create customized approaches for various membership segments while ensuring member communications align with institutional messages and that institutional messaging incorporates tailored messaging for members
- Responsible for meeting annual revenue goals and achieving revenue growth year over year
- Serve as the primary liaison with The Shed’s membership consultant
- Collaborate with the Visitor Experience team to execute on-site acquisition strategies, fielding in-person and phone room inquiries about membership and general member experience
- Work closely with the Development Operations team to further develop membership tracking and insightful analytical reporting in Tessitura
- Oversee accurate record keeping, gift processing, acknowledgments, benefits, and donor correspondence for membership in Tessitura
- Maintain campaign, fund, and plan structures as well as appeal and source codes in Tessitura
- Provide regular analytical reports and updates as to the progress of campaigns and maintain a clear campaigns calendar
- Lead ongoing research of member base to better understand demographics, interests, and opportunities and use data and wealth indicators strategically
- Develop a robust communications schedule to members, sourcing interesting content to share by collaborating with colleagues across all departments and program teams
- Participate in regular prospect management meetings with the Individual Giving team to discuss strategy and action plans for prospects and current donors and members
- Collaborate with the Special Events and Program teams to design engaging member events, with an emphasis on connecting donors to The Shed’s artistic mission
- Attend special events including but not limited to cultivation events, member evenings and tours, and behind the scenes events with The Shed’s creative team
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Qualities
- Bachelor’s degree
- Six or more years of membership experience, preferably at a nonprofit cultural organization
- Deep understanding of the membership acquisition and renewal cycles and the methods and processes behind them
- Experience in direct response strategies and techniques, including digital and mobile communications and direct mail
- Collaborative and collegial approach to working across departments
- Deep understanding of database best practices and strategies (Tessitura experience highly-preferred)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to uphold fundraising ethics and respect confidentiality of donor information
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a highly motivated, energetic team in a growing organization
- Attention to detail, ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities, and work well under pressure
- Ability to work late nights, early mornings, and on weekends as needed in support of events
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Interested candidates should complete an application and submit résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate's first and last name through our Career Center page here. Only résumés and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff, and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.