Philanthropy New York is a nonprofit membership association of more than 280+ foundations and corporate giving programs based in the New York metropolitan region. Philanthropy New York supports and strengthens the foundation sector’s practice of effective philanthropy for the public good.
To this end, Philanthropy New York:
- Supports meaningful collaboration and knowledge-sharing among funders and their grantee
- Promotes effective, strategic philanthropy through programs, services, and resources;
- Informs and advances public policies that support effective philanthropy and a productive
- Fosters effective communications about the value of philanthropy and the philanthropic sector
to the larger community; and
- Develops a diverse and capable group of future philanthropic leaders.
The Member Services team works to ensure that Philanthropy New York members are actively engaged in the PNY community and connected to relevant programs, resources and services that PNY offers. As a member of the three-person team, the Coordinator provides regular customer service support to answer member inquiries and ensure members can access their membership benefits.
The Member Services department also holds principal responsibility for managing and maintaining PNY’s Salesforce database, which provides the technical backbone for nearly all of PNY’s operations and is a critical organizational tool for managing member information. The Member Services Coordinator works closely with the Director of Member Services to manage information in Salesforce, optimize its functionality and support all staff in using Salesforce.
The ideal candidate is a systems thinker and problem solver who enjoys interacting with data, members and staff across the organization.
Database and Systems Management
- Ensure integrity, accuracy, and functionality of Philanthropy New York’s Salesforce database, including updating and verifying contact records.
- Extensively test all configuration, custom development and integration between Salesforce and PNY’s Drupal-based website when new updates are available.
- Design and generate reports and dashboards that help guide organizational planning and evaluation.
- Document system procedures, customizations and enhancements.
- Serve as the first line of support to staff with Salesforce-related queries.
- Provide PNY staff with ongoing Salesforce training to ensure data entry accuracy across the organization and assist the Director with training new staff in Salesforce.
- Work with Director to strategize and implement database processes that support operational and programmatic goals.
- Join Director in representing PNY in a national network of 30 organizations working on the same Salesforce platform.
- Respond to member requests for assistance, research or inquiries around membership.
- Support the Director and Senior VP with the membership renewal process, including preparing renewal materials and processing renewal and grant contributions to PNY.
- Support Member Services team with welcoming and orienting new members to PNY.
- Provide first line of support to members with technology (i.e. troubleshooting user login issues, investigating sync issues between website and database, or understand why members may not be receiving communications).
- Support Director in member data collection and analysis for reporting to PNY’s senior management team and board.
- Support Member Services team in incorporating a racial equity lens in member services activities
- Provide occasional scheduling and administrative support to the Senior Vice President of Member Services and other staff as needed.
- Support PNY’s programs by assisting with check-in and program logistics as needed.
- Special projects and other activities as assigned.
Competencies and values sought for all PNY positions
- A clear commitment to Philanthropy New York’s mission, vision and values.
- Strong customer service orientation and comfort working with diverse constituencies.
- Inquisitive and intellectually curious.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, with an ability to convey information clearly to meet the needs of the audience.
- Driven to solve problems and innovate.
- High attention to detail and able to proof and quality check own work and prepare materials free of errors for colleagues and members.
- The ability to organize and prioritize projects to meet work goals in a timely manner.
- Self-starter who values a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to adapt to shifting work demands and organizational priorities and willingness to assist organization with special projects and activities, as assigned.
- Commitment to personal growth and development on issues of racial equity and diversity
- Experience working in or a strong interest in and understanding of the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors.
- A good sense of humor.
Desired skills, expertise and characteristics specific to this position
- Two to four years’ experience with managing and working with constituent relationship management (CRM) software or association management software. Experience with Salesforce preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and problem solve.
- Exceptionally strong computer skills and quick learner.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion with confidential or sensitive information.
- Basic knowledge of grantmaking and grants management processes a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze information and communicate information in a clear and organized manner.
- Basic administrative knowledge of Drupal and API mapping, a plus.
Benefits include: health, dental, and vision insurance; a generous leave policy; and generous employer contribution to the employee’s retirement fund after one year of service.
Please send a resume and a cover letter via email outlining your interest in the position, your skills and your qualifications by July 19, 2019. Please include your salary requirements.
Chief Operating Officer
Philanthropy New York
No phone calls, please. Please note that due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we are unable to respond to all candidates. We will be directly in touch with candidates for first round interviews.
Philanthropy New York values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of diverse backgrounds, sex, race, religion, gender preference and sexual orientation.