For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than 1.5 million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Development Department of the national office is seeking applications for the full-time position of Member Engagement Manager. The position is based in New York City.
More than any other nationwide nonprofit since the 2016 election, the ACLU has generated a meteoric rise in donors and prospects at all levels. Our revenue has more than doubled since 2016 and our membership has more than quadrupled. Since the 2016 election, we acquired 1.2 million new donors, over 175,000 new “family separation” donors, and 250,000 sustainers who currently contribute $60M annually, or 25% of the ACLU’s national operating budget.
The Member Engagement Manager will report to, and work closely with, the Deputy Director of Membership in the Annual Fund unit of the Development Department. The donor portfolio managed by the Annual Fund team comprises donors making single gifts under $1,000, as well as our monthly giving program – the Guardians of Liberty.
ROLES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with internal and external teams to define select donor audiences, identify new income streams and develop personalized tracks to cultivate, solicit and retain these valuable audiences, considering impact and effort
- Create a dedicated program for C3 donors giving under $1,000 who would benefit from more emphasis on tax deductibility
- Develop, implement and maintain a dedicated track for monthly sustainers giving >$250 per month
- Investigate and implement opportunities to upgrade one time donors into higher value bands within the Annual Fund or move them into the Mid Major Gifts portfolio
- Liaise with Donor Services on best practice for servicing donors; identify opportunities to improve donor relations
- Audit Tribute / Gift Membership programs and provide recommendations for program enhancement
- In partnership with the online fundraising and corporate relations teams advance workplace and other third party giving
- Collaborate with other members of the Annual Fund team, and the digital product and technology teams to advance mobile fundraising efforts
- Assist with testing of new canvassing programs
- Assist the Deputy Director in investigating, planning and executing new initiatives to help refine and develop the Annual Giving program overall; develop and implement timelines to move programs.
- Develop and manage program related budgets
- Analyze program performance; recommend strategies and tactics to improve performance
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years’ direct marketing fundraising experience, preferred
- Experience strategizing, developing and implementing direct marketing fundraising programs
- Strong analytical skills including familiarity with direct response marketing performance analysis and strategy
- Experience with audience identification, segmentation and tracking
- Familiarity with Salesforce and NGO Connect preferred
- Experience with third party giving, highly desirable
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to set and communicate priorities
- Proven success at project management
- Experience developing, managing, and monitoring multiple budgets
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable speaking with donors
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to: [email protected]. Reference [DEVF-110 /ACLU] in the subject line.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: [email protected]. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”