The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building and philanthropic advocacy programs support the work of lesbian, trans*, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression and claim rights.
The Major Gift Officer will be responsible for overseeing and implementing relationship building, out-the-door fundraising, and staffing of the executive director’s portfolio of major donors and prospects. This officer will develop an annual fundraising plan – projecting renewals, upgrades, planned gift prospect identification and new solicitations. The officer will collaborate with other fundraisers and our communications team to ensure ongoing cultivation and stewardship activities, liaise as needed with our board of directors, partner with our prospect researcher, and contact a minimum of 10-15 donors monthly. The officer also will be a good writer, able to absorb new information quickly and serve as a passionate ambassador for the foundation in the community and philanthropic spaces. Additionally, the Major Gift Officer will participate in planning and outreach for events, work with donors to set up Donor Advised Funds and serve as the primary contact with the donor advisors
- Maintain a major donor portfolio of an estimated 200 individuals. Manage and cultivate relationships with current major donors (now at $1,500 annually, though we want to raise the major gift level), use moves management to develop strategies and cultivate and steward portfolio, and solicit them personally with an aim to increase donors’ giving levels over time, including on-going contact via phone, email, meetings, etc.
- Identify and build relationships with prospective donors, including planning and supporting house parties and cultivation events, attend conferences and other events that offer opportunities to network in the LGBTQI philanthropic communities and hold discovery meetings with prospective donors. Continue to engage prospects through the solicitation stage.
- Work with Director of Development to elevate Planned Giving with Astraea donors, including but not limited to: identifying and meeting with current donors who are candidates for PG conversation; organizing informational gatherings about PG; stewardship of nationally-based We Will members.
- Prepare donor prep and assist the Executive Director, Director of Development and board members as required. Collaborate with other fundraisers regarding strategies and engagement in events. Help track the work of senior level contract with major donors, focusing on those that give at the $10,000 plus level.
- Work with donors to set up Donor Advised Funds, including drafting the agreement between Astraea and the donor, updating them with financial reports, and liaising with the program team to make sure all DAF grants are made in a timely fashion.
- Collaborate with the development and fiscal team to draft Astraea’s revenue budget model annually and to revise it mid-year as necessary. Similarly work closely with the Communication’s team to prepare and review donor collateral.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is required.
- Demonstrated track record of securing major gifts at the Leadership Circle level ($1500 annually) and above.
- Minimum of three years fundraising experience.
- Passionate commitment to Astraea’s mission, social justice and LGBTQI issues; familiarity with the LGBT funders a plus.
- Strong understanding of the US philanthropic sector; international experience a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to write clear and compelling proposals, reports and other communications with funders and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships.
- Ability to organize and handle multiple and often competing deadlines.
- Ability to work flexible hours (including early mornings and late evenings) as required, to accommodate the schedules of donors, etc.
- Ability to travel overnight approximately 15% of work schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to [email protected] by April 15, 2017. Please include Major Gifts Officer in the subject line. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with