About The Shed
Opening April 5, 2019, where the High Line meets Hudson Yards on Manhattan's west side, The Shed commissions original works of art, across all disciplines, for all audiences. From hip hop to classical music, painting and sculpture to literature, film to theater and dance, The Shed will bring together leading and emerging artists and thinkers from all disciplines under one roof. The building—a remarkable movable structure designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro, Lead Architect, and Rockwell Group, Collaborating Architect—physically transforms to support artists' most ambitious ideas. Committed to nurturing artistic invention and bringing creative experiences to the broadest possible audiences, The Shed, led by Artistic Director and CEO Alex Poots, is a 21st-century space of and for New York City.
About the Position
The Shed seeks a Major Gifts Associate to provide a high level of strategic, database and administrative support to the Individual Giving team as they build individual donor and membership programs to establish a renewable base of support for annual operations. The Major Gifts Associate will report to the Director of Individual Giving and will join a growing Development team. The Shed is a start-up atmosphere and projects and deadlines move quickly.
The ideal candidate has extraordinary attention to detail, excellent time and project management skills, and a roll-up-their-sleeves collaborative attitude.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and Director of Individual Giving to secure strong annual support and build a robust pipeline of potential major donors
- Carefully track all major gift work in Tessitura, The Shed’s donor database, and serve as a resource on the status of outreach to prospects
- Ensure accurate gift entry for all major gifts in collaboration with the Development Operations team
- Track all notes, next steps, connections, and details of every major donor and prospect
- Prepare reports and portfolios of prospects for The Shed executive team, Board and Individual Giving team on regular basis
- Generate regular reports on outreach to prospects
- Conduct donor and prospect research and prepare meeting briefings and talking points for solicitors
- Manage and distribute Google alerts of news about board members, donors, and prospects
- Collaborate with the Special Events team to execute engaging cultivation events
- Attend special events including, but not limited to, cultivation events, member evenings, and behind the scenes events with The Shed’s creative team
- Work closely with the Director of Individual Giving to develop and execute creative stewardship opportunities
- Maintain a general awareness of philanthropy and trends within the NYC arts and culture community
- Assist with administrative duties for all aspects of The Shed’s individual giving programs
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Qualities
- Two or more years of relevant experience in arts and cultural administration or similar
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate professionally, effectively, and discreetly with volunteers, colleagues, and donors
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Creative approach to finding and building tools that will increase the efficiency of the team
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a highly motivated, energetic team in a growing organization
- Adaptability and desire to join a start-up environment
- Ability to work occasional early mornings, evenings, or weekends as needed
- Microsoft Word and Excel; Tessitura and/or Wordfly a plus
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Interested candidates should complete an application and submit résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate's first and last name through our Career Center page here. Only résumés and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
The Shed is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff, and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with