The Bernard and Anne Spitzer Charitable Trust is a progressive family foundation. Its mission is to support advocacy for social change that promotes human dignity and contributes to a more just, democratic, and environmentally sustainable world. The Trust is seeking a dynamic, highly organized, and collaborative individual to serve as a Program Assistant.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Program Assistant will work closely with the Program Officer for the Environment on administrative and programmatic matters, providing support across all stages of grantmaking. The Environment Program supports work to manage the risks of climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions and enhancing the resiliency of human and environmental systems. Its grants support analysis and advocacy to accelerate the development and deployment of a range of affordable and abundant climate technologies, including advanced renewables, nuclear power, carbon capture, and carbon removal. The Program Assistant will also provide administrative and programmatic support to the Senior Program Officer for the Trust’s Equitable Growth Program, which works to promote economic security for American workers and their families through an economy based on more equitable and sustainable growth.
The Trust has a small staff, and everyone contributes to the office’s administrative operations. Accordingly, the Program Assistant will be responsible for helping with meeting preparation, scheduling, and other tasks as needed.
- Support the Program Officers in reviewing grant applications and reports and in monitoring grantee progress.
- Assist in planning for the Trust’s board meetings, including drafting and editing grant recommendation memos, Program overviews, and other board materials and communications.
- Help maintain grants database, budget spreadsheets and grant calendars, and coordinate grant processes for the Programs.
- Assist Program Officers in responding to inquiries and requests for information from the board, grantees, applicants, and others.
- Plan and coordinate logistics for meetings and events.
- Manage Program Officers’ calendars.
- Assist with special projects and other duties as needed.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, interpersonally and in writing, and will be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Qualifications include:
- Demonstrated interest in the mission, goals and values of the Trust and its programs.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree and 2-4 years of professional experience, preferably in the nonprofit or foundation sectors.
- Strong project management abilities (e.g., planning, administrative, and organizational skills), excellent attention to detail, ability to manage time efficiently, meet deadlines, and work independently with minimal guidance.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience managing calendars and scheduling.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills that support constructive partnerships and relationships; capable of communicating effectively with grantees, board, staff, and Program partners.
- Well-developed problem-solving skills; willingness to ask questions and seek assistance if needed.
- Comfort with ambiguity and willingness to be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Goodwill, a sense of humor, and a commitment to collegiality in a small team.
- Experience with grants management or other online database software (preferred but not required).
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes four weeks paid vacation, summer Friday schedule, medical, dental, and vision benefits, retirement savings plan with 10% employer contribution, and employee-recommended grants program.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Please include “Environment Program Assistant – LAST NAME, FIRST NAME” in the subject line. The application deadline is July 16, 2021. No phone calls please.