Arabella Advisors is looking for a talented graduate student to join our Impact Investing practice for the summer of 2016, with the possibility of continuing over the fall. The intern will be an integral part of the Impact Investing project team which works with investors to develop and execute their impact investing strategy. This is an excellent learning opportunity for graduate students interested in philanthropy, social enterprise, and fine-tuning their professional toolkit in impact investing. The successful candidate will be driven by mission-related work, and wants to support a growing entrepreneurial team at Arabella Advisors.
This is a part-time, paid position that will be based in New York or Washington D.C. and requires 10-20 hours per week.
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We help our clients imagine what’s possible, design the best strategies, learn what works best, and do the work necessary to realize their visions.
Our staff is a team of passionate problem-solvers—mission-driven and action-oriented—with a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience.
The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation. Our leadership team, advisors, colleagues, and staff are fundamentally concerned with social change. We share a desire to make a difference and apply an outcomes-focused approach. Our internal culture supports employee passions, enables continuous learning, and fosters innovation, risk taking, and fun—even as it emphasizes excellence.
About Arabella’s Impact Investing Practice
Arabella works with funders of all kinds to help them better understand impact investing, develop strategies that complement their existing portfolios and program work, and source, structure, close, and monitor transactions. Our clients have varying degrees of experience with impact investing and employ different approaches—from grant funding to program-related investments (PRIs), mission-related investments (MRIs), and positive and negative screening of their personal portfolios. Our impact investing team works closely with clients to support them as needed, ensuring that we complement their own and their advisors’ existing knowledge and capacity. We expect applicants to have knowledge of impact investing.
The role will support both client and strategic work, including:
- Managing portfolio reviews and financial and impact measurements on existing investments
- Assisting with internal capabilities development, including managing proprietary investment database, portfolio management capabilities, and dashboard development
- Client onboarding including proposal development, budgeting, and project scoping
- Sourcing and due diligence for potential investment opportunities including, but not limited to, global health, domestic food, and hyperlocal mission investing strategies
- Developing client reports, presentations, and memos for client presentations, board meetings, and internal reporting
- Conducting independent background research on thematic issue areas or asset classes based on client demands and Arabella initiatives
- Working on strategic initiatives internally related to the growth of the impact investing practice
- Collaborating across Arabella practice areas in cross-team client opportunities and strategic initiatives
- Attending impact investing meetings, convenings, and conferences on behalf of Arabella
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Graduate student working towards a degree in business, public policy, or related fields
- 3-5 years of prior work experience, preferably in investment management, management consulting, investment banking, or other related fields
- Familiarity with financial and investment concepts including debt and equity instruments along with other innovative financial mechanisms
- Knowledge of impact investing, including PRI and MRI strategies as well as news and current events in the sector
- Commitment towards social good or impact investing that aligns with Arabella’s mission and business model
- Quantitative acumen to conduct financial due diligence and portfolio management
- Demonstrable analytical abilities with strong attention to detail
- Excelling writing skills, including ability to explain complex concepts to a lay audience
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently, and take responsibility for assigned projects
- Ability to think critically, develop implementation plans, and execute these plans in a timely, efficient, and cost-effective manner
- Proficiency in Excel and Power Point
A Career with Arabella Advisors
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, fun, transparent, collaborative, and healthy culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more about our people, culture, and work. However, we thought you should know that Arabella is committed to providing excellent benefits to our employees. For you and your eligible dependents, we provide a competitive package that includes health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide you disability coverage; life insurance; personal and volunteer leave time; a 401K match that you are eligible to receive when you start; funds for professional development; and a fitness benefit.
We also are committed to building a firm that is diverse and inclusive. We invite our clients and employees to be fully themselves. By integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion into our work, we benefit from increased knowledge, creativity, flexibility, and organizational and individual growth. We expect all Arabella staff to share this commitment.
Candidates must submit a resume and one-page cover letter to be considered for the position. The cover letter must address why you want to work at Arabella, and your interest in the Impact Investing team. Please let us know if your graduate program also provides a supplementary stipend for internships in the social sector. We will disregard candidates that do not submit the appropriate materials.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
This position is planned to start in mid-May or mid-June of 2016. Please consider these potential start dates when submitting your application.
Do you like this post?