The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building, philanthropic advocacy, and media and communications programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression, promote justice and claim rights.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Grants Manager
Reporting to the Associate Director of Programs and serving as an integral member of Astraea’s Program Team, the Grants Manager supports Astraea’s grantmaking to LGBTQI organizations pursuing gender, racial and economic justice in the United States and internationally, totaling approximately $3.5 million annually. The Grants Manager administers grants, leads the overall implementation of Astraea’s grantmaking cycles, and provides administrative support for the Program Team. The Grants Manager is responsible for ensuring the integrity and maintenance of the grants management database, and due diligence oversight of grantmaking.
- Lead the implementation of Astraea’s grantmaking cycles and grants tracking systems;
- Conduct initial reviews of grant inquiries, including communication with potential applicants and grantee partners, and conduct due diligence reviews of all grants;
- Manage grant approval process, including data entry in GIFTS and administration of payments;
- Manage and administer grants database, including maintenance and revision of templates, fields, searches, reports, user accounts, forms, and coding;
- Manage and administer domestic and international donor-advised fund (DAF) grants;
- Ensure smooth grants and payments administration by liasing with Fiscal Team, Program Officers and grantee partners;
- Design and generate reports of grant statistics, conduct data analysis of Astraea’s grantmaking in response to requests from internal and external constituents, and support the preparation of Astraea’s dockets;
- Collaborate with the Associate Director and Director of Programs to track and support the allocation of the grantmaking budget;
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for Astraea's grantmaking, ensuring compliance with federal standards and grantmaking best practices. Create and maintain Astraea’s grantmaking manual;
- Actively participate in peer learning and networking through the Grants Managers Network;
- Provide general administrative support to the Program Team; and,
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned from time to time.
- At least two years’ experience with grantmaking; experience with grants management and knowledge of international grantmaking a plus
- Experience with LGBTQI, feminist, human rights and/or social justice movements
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines while maintaining consistent attention to detail
- High level of proficiency with computers, databases and other technology; knowledge of grants management software a plus
- Ability to work and communicate with diverse audiences and stakeholders, including activists, donors and community members
- Strong interpersonal skills and a supportive team player
- Flexible, adaptive work style, and a sense of humor
- Very good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in English required; proficiency in Spanish a strong plus
- Commitment to the work and social justice values of Astraea
- Ability to travel within the US and internationally up to 10% of work schedule
- People of color, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, women, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Authorization to work in the United States is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter, resume/CV, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, July 27, 2016. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants considered for interviews will be contacted. Expected start date is September 1, 2016.