New York, NY
NoVo Foundation acts from the original meaning of philanthropy: the love of humanity. The Foundation is dedicated to catalyzing a global social transformation away from current cultures of domination and their reliance on hierarchy, violence and the subordination of girls and women.
NoVo believes a new code of behavior is possible, where we are all linked and not ranked. We envision a balanced world that’s governed by principles of mutual respect, collaboration and civic participation, and that our contribution is to help create the conditions for that new code to arise, and inspire others to join them. We seek pivot points in society – such as adolescent girls and local economies – where support and resources can have long-lasting and wide-ranging positive impact. We see violence against girls and women as a fundamental enforcer of oppression, and work to eradicate its presence.
The scale of these ambitions guides our investment strategies. Ours is both risk capital and patient capital; experimentation and new thinking are critical paths forward. Seeing the world as it is, and as it could be, inspires our voice. Through all of our activities we try to illuminate the possibility of a new paradigm, gather evidence of its existence and establish pathways for its manifestation. As our website states, we “are humbled and honored to contribute to building a world based on peace, compassion, justice and love.”
Jennifer and Peter Buffett are the co-presidents of the Foundation and have articulated the vision and values that guide its work.
For further details about the mission and vision of the NoVo Foundation please visit www.novofoundation.org.
Under the supervision of the Director of Grants Administration, the Grants Associate supports and manages various administrative and financial functions related to grants management within the Foundation. The Associate periodically interacts with other staff, grantees, auditors, vendors, and other external partners. This is not a program position.
The Associate will support the Director, Grants Administration with all aspects of grants management, including all data entry, processing, and maintenance of grant records in our electronic grants database. NoVo uses a cloud-based system called Foundation Connect (FC) that is built on the Salesforce platform.
The Associate will be responsible for:
- Creating new and updating existing contact, organization, and grant accounts;
- Processing and tracking payment requests and grant disbursements;
- Processing and tracking unsolicited grant requests and managing Foundation response to general inquiries for funding;
- Providing technical support to staff and grantees related to the grants management system;
- Uploading, scanning, and attaching documents to records in the database;
- Inviting applications for funding on behalf of Initiative staff, communicating all necessary requirements and deadlines to the applicant;
- Tracking and following-up on narrative and financial reports, and any other outstanding documentation;
- Working with Initiative staff in preparing for and presenting Grants Committee meeting materials;
- Serving as primary contact for telephone, paper, and electronic grant inquiries;
- Generating payment transmittal letters and sending checks to grantee partners;
- Drafting and sending regular mail and email documents on behalf of the grants management department;
- Assisting in compliance with record retention schedules;
- Coordinating with Initiative staff on grant and budget planning, with the responsibility for assigning proposal review deadlines and confirming accuracy of grant entries for items such as project purpose and projected grant amount, payment disbursement dates, reporting dates, etc.;
- Troubleshooting issues pertaining to the grantee application portal;
- Editing and creating documents and reports in Salesforce as needed by staff;
- Serves as support desk agent, logging and addressing Salesforce queries;
- Assisting Grants Director in administering NoVo’s employee matching gifts program;
- Assisting in training staff and grantees as needed on technology or policy issues and procedures that affect them; and
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as requested or assigned.
Note: This description is a guide to the primary duties and functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands, and working conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and may be revised to meet the changing needs of NoVo Foundation at the sole discretion of management.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum two years of successful, progressive experience in a grants management function strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to NoVo’s mission and an alignment with our organizational values. For information, visit: novofoundation.org.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, Mac applications, and databases. Experience with Salesforce and a strong technical competency a plus.
- Proactive work style, self-motivated, detail oriented with strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required (in person, via e-mail, and on telephone), and ability to compose effective, thoughtful correspondence.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to execute all responsibilities methodically, swiftly, and accurately.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including ability to interact effectively with leadership, staff, and Board of Directors (previous experience is a plus), and to cultivate and maintain collaborative, respectful, and honest relationships.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp on individual project details.
- Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
Compensation and Culture
NoVo offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, generous vacation, and a pleasant working environment. The Foundation employs a small staff and is dedicated to promoting an environment of collaboration and workplace flexibility.
NoVo deeply values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of underrepresented backgrounds including with regard to gender, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
For employment consideration, the optimal way to contact us is via e-mail. No phone calls please. All applications must include:
- Thoughtful cover letter (explaining your interest in and qualification for the position and how you became aware of this opportunity: job portal, referral, etc.)
- Salary requirements (must specify actual amount or range)
E-mail applications to email@example.com with subject line: Grants Associate/YOUR NAME.
Application deadline for priority consideration is Monday, December 5th, 2016 at 5:00pm, PDT.