Department: Operations Reports to: Grants Manager
Location: New York, NY Salary Range: $56,000 – $70,000 (Full-time)
Foundation for a Just Society (FJS) supports innovative, intersectional, grassroots strategies that meet immediate needs while igniting long-term, structural change in communities and regions that have been overlooked by philanthropy. We support the entire ecosystem of transformative movements — across issues and regions — by following the lead of marginalized women, girls, and LGBTQI people who catalyze change every day in their communities and countries. FJS shares resources to strengthen the movements that create a world where all people are valued and lead self-determined lives. Through direct grant-making, capacity building, strategic communications, and leadership in philanthropy, we advance the human rights of marginalized women, girls, and LGBTQI people globally. While FJS works internationally, our geographic focus areas are: Central America, Francophone West Africa, South and Southeast Asia, and the US Southeast.
The grants associate supports the grant-making and administrative functions of Foundation for a Just Society and other philanthropic institutions that receive support from FJS’ operations staff: MJS Foundation, Nick Simons Foundation, Nick Simons Foundation International, and FJS Foundation International.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES + RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as a key point of contact for grantee partners
- Track grant proposal and reporting documents and due diligence processes
- In GIFTS Online:
- Maintain accurate, detailed, and organized documentation of grants
- Manage online proposal forms
- Update grantee partner information
- Manage coding of each grantee partner
- Prepare grantee correspondence, such as award and decline letters and annual audit compliance documents
- Prepare grant history reports, payment reports, supporting schedules for Form 990PF reporting and presentations
- Prepare invoicing, accounting, reporting, and other administrative functions to ensure the successful execution of the grants processes
- Verify the public charity status and bank wire instructions of grantee partners
- Work closely with program and communications staff to prepare Docket materials and provide information for projects and presentations
- Enter grant payments into JP Morgan Chase Access; coordinate with the CEO/CFO to release wire payments
- Work closely with finance team staff to support audit projects and other external reporting needs, including reconciliations between GIFTS Online and QuickBooks
- Coordinate logistical needs for Board meetings, including meeting materials and travel/accommodation for meeting participants
- Provide support for cross-organizational initiatives, projects, and meetings in collaboration with executive assistants
- Assist with presentation creation by building spreadsheets and graphs with relevant data
- Conduct web-based research and assist with special projects, as requested
- Serve as a back-up for responsibilities managed by other team members
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of the foundations’ due diligence policies and practices; identify areas of improvement
- Other duties and special project work, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years of professional experience in a grants administration or grants management role in a non-profit organization
- Strong working knowledge of GIFTS Online or GIFTS Classic is required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Detail oriented with exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- High attention to accuracy and deadlines; ability to prioritize
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Proactive, self-motivated, meticulous working style
- Critical and creative thinker, independent problem solver, ability to improve workflow
- Works well in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Positive attitude, flexibility, cooperation, and customer service orientation when working with colleagues and grantee partners
- Comfort with people from diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and cultures.
- Finance experience preferred, but not required
- Eligibility to work in the United States
COMPENSATION + CULTURE
FJS offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, generous vacation, and a collegial working environment. We are dedicated to promoting an environment of collaboration and work-life balance.
FJS deeply values equity and inclusion and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals from underrepresented backgrounds, including gender identity and expression, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
HOW TO APPLY
Email a concise and compelling cover letter and your resume in one PDF to email@example.com by 5PM EST on July 20, 2018. Please include “Grants Associate – YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
All applications must be received via email. No phone inquiries please.