Reports to: Controller
Location: New York, NY
FLSA Status (OT eligibility): Exempt
Wellspring Advisors, a philanthropic consulting firm that develops and administers grantmaking programs, is a seeking a New York City‐ based Grants Accountant for a period of two years to serve as a liaison between the Finance and Grants Management teams for preparation of grant payments, assistance with grant reconciliations, dashboards, board packages and the preparation of a 990 for a private foundation. The Grants Accountant will navigate and recommend financial reporting and grant payment process improvements for the general ledger and grantmaking system. The Grants Accountant will report to and take assignments from the Controller and will also provide support to the Senior Accountant, while coordinating with staff in the Grants Management department.
NOTE: This position is envisioned for two years, to assist Wellspring with critical infrastructure improvements to its general ledger and grantmaking payments system.
- Prepare wire and ACH‐based grant disbursements in the banking and general ledger systems.
- Record grant approvals and commitments in the Intacct general ledger.
- Assist the Senior Accountant with reconciliations of the general ledger, bank statements and grantmaking systems and follow up with open items.
- Coordinate with the Controller and Senior Accountant to develop and prepare internal dashboards and forecasts, tables for the annual report, board packages, and the 990‐PF.
- Liaise with Grants Management and adjust the ledger for grant modifications.
- Navigate between the accrual and cash bases of accounting to ensure all internal and external reports are fully reconciled.
- Recommend and implement process improvements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Dedicated to Wellspring’s philanthropic mission, with a personal commitment to the ideals that we foster as an organization.
- Smart, friendly, and dedicated to providing the highest level of customer service.
- Able to operate effectively within a globally dispersed, complex, highly collaborative organization.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience – with a preference for a major in Business Administration (with a focus in Accounting), Finance, or Accounting
- Minimum of 3 years of accounting or audit experience, preferably in a private foundation setting.
- Familiarity with the 990‐PF and tracking its requirements.
- Familiarity with general ledger, treasury and grantmaking systems.
- Ability to leave an audit trail, recommend and follow up on process improvements and open items.
- Understanding of accrual and cash basis accounting, and how reconciling items impact various financial reports.
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi‐task and meet deadlines.
- Initiative, resourcefulness and flexibility.
- Ability to handle confidential client information with complete discretion.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of his or her normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Established in 2001, Wellspring is a private philanthropic consulting firm that coordinates grantmaking programs that advance the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. Wellspring has offices in New York City and Washington, D.C.
Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
- Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends.
- The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected.
- Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance.
- As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments.
The firm’s services include working with donors to develop, implement, and administer giving programs that meet their philanthropic goals; conducting research and education tailored to the interests of our donors; managing programs, administering grants, and monitoring grantee performance; and working to promote the effectiveness of programs that receive donor funding.
Wellspring Advisors, LLC, hires, promotes and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities, and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the firm’s service needs and business requirements.
All personnel decisions are made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, domestic partner status, military status, sex, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all our activities, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline, and discharge. This policy also bans discriminatory harassment.
Wellspring offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package including 24 days of paid time off during the first year of employment, 100% of employee health coverage (and 80% for spouses/domestic partners and family members), and a contribution/match to a 401(k) plan.
Salary: The anticipated salary for this position is $65,000‐$75,000 depending on skills and experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
For employment consideration, please submit an application to email@example.com. Subject Line: “[Your name] – FINANCE – Grants Accountant.” All applications must include:
- A resume;
- A thoughtful cover letter, including how you became aware of this opportunity (i.e., job portal, referral, etc.);
- Salary requirements (must specify actual amount or range).
No phone calls please. NOTE: At this time we are only accepting applications from applicants who have permission to work in the United States. If this changes, this job description will get updated.