Girls Educational & Mentoring Services (GEMS) is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to empower young women, ages 12-24 years, who have experienced sexual exploitation and violence to exit abusive and unsafe lifestyles and to develop their full potential.
GEMS is currently seeking an experienced, Full-time Bookkeeper with 5 plus years solid bookkeeping experience to join its team. This is a great opportunity for a detail oriented individual to join a fast growing nonprofit. The ideal candidate will have a passion for financial management, and a strong ability in accounting functions. The candidate will perform all aspects of financial accounting and must have experience in nonprofit accounting.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Ensure data integrity, appropriate internal controls, proper accounting methodology, and adherence to internal and external reporting deadlines as related to general accounting functions.
- Manage the month-end and year-end close processes including bank reconciliations, accruals, prepaid expenses, receivables, and balance sheet account reconciliation.
- Maintain and record transactions to accounts payable, accounts receivable, and General Ledger.
- Development and maintenance of financial records, spreadsheets and files.
- Allocation of income and expenses to funds and projects.
- Manage government funding/contracts; prepare financial status statement reports as required, EFT voucher processing, and voucher/claims reports with specificity to each government funding source.
- Serve as initial point of contact during annual fiscal audit and ensure integrity of all preliminary reports including but not limited to Quarter end reports and financial statements.
- Prepare and assist in month end and year end closings, preparation of financial reports, cash flow statement.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting degree and/or combination of experience and college credit.
- 3 - 5 years of experience with FundEz Software.
- Solid understanding of GAAP, and FASB compliance.
- Experience managing and preparing reports for government funding a must.
- Strong analytical & problem solving skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and stay organized in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to communicate financial information.
- Flexible work schedule, ability to work over-time when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
How To Apply
Please email on PDF or MS Word format a cover letter explaining why you would like to work at GEMS and how your experience and expertise will help us carry on with our mission; also send resume and salary requirement with Full Time Bookkeeper in the subject line to our Operations Department. All applications must include a cover letter that is relevant to GEMS! WE WILL BE REVIEWING ONLY APPLICATIONS WITH SALARY REQUIREMENT AND A COVER LETTER INCLUDED. No phone calls please!
SURVIVORS AND WOMEN OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!