Row New York (www.rownewyork.org) is a unique non-profit organization which transforms the lives of New Yorkers, regardless of ability or background, through the discipline of rowing combined with comprehensive academic support. Our student-athlete population reflects enormous ethnic and racial diversity, as well as the mutually beneficial integration of teens from varying socioeconomic backgrounds. Our free and low-cost programs serve over 2,000 young people annually, empowering them to build strength, gain confidence, and pursue excellence through intensive rowing and academic programming. We also offer para-rowing for youth and adults with disabilities, summer camps, fitness classes, adult rowing instruction from introductory to competitive levels, and corporate team-building workshops.
Currently, we row out of three boathouses: the Peter Jay Sharp Boathouse on the Harlem River in upper Manhattan, the World’s Fair Boathouse on Meadow Lake in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Queens, and Paerdegat Basin in the Canarsie section of Brooklyn. Our main office is located in Midtown Manhattan. Please note: This position will be based in our Midtown office.
Row New York seeks a talented and organized Executive Assistant. Reporting to the Executive Director and the Deputy Director (the Directors), the Executive Assistant will provide executive support, manage calendars, and work on a variety of special projects. The Executive Assistant will occasionally support other senior staff as well. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities. The Executive Assistant will have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. A high degree of aptitude, detail, self-initiative and regular management of changing priorities is required. Interest in non-profits and sports-based youth development is preferred. This position provides the invaluable opportunity to contribute to the success of Row New York’s programming (and therefore the success of its graduates) in a meaningful way, and in a positive, constructive environment.
General Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on tasks in a timely manner
- Follow up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Directors, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determine appropriate course of action, referral, or response
- Work closely and effectively with the Directors to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately
- Support various special projects, such as event support and systematizing internal communication
- Support the Directors in their fundraising efforts, helping to establish and execute clear pipelines and an outreach plan for individuals throughout the year
- Update and maintain our Salesforce database of key contacts, run reports from database, and analyze data as directed
- Represent and attend Row New York at board meetings, open-houses, conferences, and events as requested
- Communicate directly with Board members, senior staff, donors, foundations and others on matters related to the Directors initiatives
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the senior leadership team and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with staff
- Complete first drafts for written communications to external stakeholders and internal project management communication regarding dates and follow ups for deliverables due
- Manage communications and scheduling by reading, researching, and routing all forms of correspondence on behalf of the Directors, chasing responses to requests and emails as needed
Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks including:
- Manage calendar and schedules (internal and external meeting with staff, partners, and funders)
- Ensure that key dates, events, and deadlines are highlighted to the Directors ahead of time
- Arrange meetings, set up space for meetings (book rooms, IT, snacks, etc.) and prepare meeting materials, agendas, and meeting minutes
- Manage expense claims and receipts
- Compose and prepare correspondence
- Keep accurate records and files at all times and as appropriate
- Serve as a backup to answer phones, and receive and distribute voicemail messages
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. In addition, they should have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of executive assistant experience preferred
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented
- Ability to organize, plan, schedule, determine priorities, and meet deadlines
- Excellent writing and speaking skills
- Proficiency in Google docs, Google Calendar, and Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to communicate effectively with tact and diplomacy, both orally and in writing, including working with all staff levels and diverse populations
- Ability to exercise discretion in dealing with sensitive material and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to function effectively under pressure and meet time parameters
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a demanding, strategic, fast-paced environment
- Proactive problem solver who demonstrates initiative and ability to work individually and on a team
- Results-driven team player who thrives in an authentic, feedback-driven culture
- Knowledge and eagerness to learn in the realms of education, poverty, youth services, and people with disabilities
- Experience working with Salesforce (preferred)
- Development experience a plus
- Strong references
- Commitment to the mission of Row New York and a passion for helping youth succeed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Row New York is committed to creating a culture that is supportive of learning, growth, and staff development. Our investment in staff includes a competitive salary commensurate with experience, 401(k) plan, health, dental, life insurance, and generous paid time off and holidays.
Submit cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Assistant Application" in subject line. Only applicants asked to interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Row New York is firmly committed to affirmative action and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, veteran, elderly and differently-abled candidates to apply. No rowing experience is necessary. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows us to only respond to those best qualified for the position.