The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building and philanthropic advocacy programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression and claim rights.
Reports to: Executive Director and Deputy Director
Hours: Full Time, approx. 35 hours/week
The Executive Assistant will support the Executive Director (ED) with the essential daily tasks. The role requires a forward thinking and motivated individual who will take initiative in helping to improve the effectiveness of the organization. The ideal candidate will be a well-versed administrator adept in project management, implementing organizational systems and managing a demanding calendar. Candidate will possess exemplary oral and written communication skills with the ability to respond on behalf of the ED. The Executive Assistant will be computer savvy, detailed oriented and able to multitask effectively in a fast-paced environment. The role requires optimal time management skills with the ability to manage travel, conferences, speaking engagements and other events. Candidate must be highly organized, self-directed, pro-active and willing to take the initiative to solve problems, make judgment calls and set priorities based on the Executive Director’s and organization’s demands. The ideal candidate must be extremely polished, professional and personable to engage stakeholders and the public. Some Personal Assistant duties may be required. Occasional evening and weekend work to include accessibility to the ED is required.
Administrative support & management:
- Manage and coordinate ED’s daily schedule
- Handle all logistics of ED appointments and meetings, including opening call lines
- Prepare ED’s travel arrangements in compliance with organizational travel policies
- Research and prepare meeting materials
- Work with Fiscal Department to track ED expenses, including purchases, credit cards, travel and other miscellaneous expenses; ensure expenses are in compliance with organizational policies
- Be responsible for collecting ED’s credit card receipts and conduct monthly reconciliation of credit card bill
- Maintain filing system, contact lists, etc.
- Various administrative and office management tasks
- Serve as backup support for the Administrative/Office Coordinator role
- Support the Executive Team, including Deputy Director, as needed
- Work with the ED and the Board of Directors to support Board meetings, including document preparation, travel and meeting logistics.
- Scheduling of Board conference calls and meetings both internal and external to the organization.
- Manage board Basecamp account
- Attend meetings and take minutes
- Track email votes
Possible other opportunities & cross-team support:
- Work with the ED and the Development Department to manage ED’s individual portfolio, institutional relationships and public direct fundraising asks.
- Support drafting and editing of ED presentations and external communications as needed
- Provide pre-meeting/event briefings and logistical support to ED for both internal and external events; may occasionally accompany ED to off-site and out-of-town events.
- Work with ED and Development Team to plan cultivation events
- Participate in staff-wide projects, organizational planning, fundraising and events
- Participate in other meetings and activities as assigned.
The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and be able to provide guidance where needed. The ideal candidate must be accustomed to demonstrating a high level of integrity, diplomacy and professionalism at all times. She/he will have passion and a deep level of respect and commitment towards the values and mission of the organization. Exemplary interpersonal and organizational skills are required. Must be able to "roll up your sleeves" and possess a "can-do" attitude and have thick skin. Experience supporting 2 or more executives is highly preferred.
- Must have prior administrative experience of at least 3 years.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel; Powerpoint a plus.
- Some experience with office management.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage ever-shifting priorities.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and include EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT in the subject line. Please submit application by January 27, 2017. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.