Funders for LGBTQ Issues is a network of foundations and corporations dedicated to increasing the scale and impact of philanthropic resources aimed at enhancing the wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer communities, promoting equity, and advancing racial, economic, and gender justice. We provide three key services for the field of philanthropy:
- Convening & Collective Action- We convene grantmakers committed to LGBTQ issues so that they may connect with one another, learn from each other, coordinate their efforts, and maximize their impact. We host working groups and initiatives on specific topics to help funders shape funding strategies and leverage opportunities for new philanthropic partnerships. Through participation in other philanthropic conferences and partnerships with other funder networks, we also broaden our reach and ensure LGBTQ voices are present in vital funding conversations.
- Outreach & Support Services- We conduct individualized outreach and engagement of funders not currently funding LGBTQ issues to demonstrate how LGBTQ issues intersect with a range of grantmaking priorities. We connect with allies in foundations not yet funding LGBTQ issues and work with them to build institutions that are more inclusive and responsive to LGBTQ communities.
- Research & Communications- We produce an annual tracking report and other special reports to monitor the charter of LGBTQ funding in order to identify trends, gaps, and opportunities. Our reports on domestic and global LGBTQ funding are considered the field’s most reliable and useful source of data on resource flows to LGBTQ communities. Many of our reports have been cited by academic journals, think tanks, non-governmental organizations, government agencies, newspapers, blogs, and other media.
Funders for LGBTQ Issues has a long history of tracking LGBTQ grantmaking by both U.S. foundations and international institutions. The organization prides itself on being the premier hub for information and resources related to LGBTQ philanthropy. The Executive and Operations Assistant plays an instrumental role in maintaining this reputation.
Overview of the Position
The Executive and Operations Assistant will play an important role in increasing the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness. The three key areas of responsibility are:
- Supporting the President through various executive administrative duties, including managing the President’s schedule and travel arrangements, and managing the president’s expenses.
- Supporting the Board of Directors, assisting with management of the board of directors and its committees, including scheduling board meetings and committee meetings.
- Supporting the Director of Finance and Administration through various operational and finance duties, including management of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
The Executive and Operations Assistant will play an important role in strengthening and streamlining organizational systems. The successful candidate will love building out smart systems, whether a spreadsheet for tracking prospects or a new workflow for managing travel schedules. The job will include a wide range of tasks large and small, but patience for administrative minutiae and for managing up are a must. Experience in philanthropy is not required for this position, but we are seeking candidates with a passion for LGBTQ issues and social change and a deep curiosity and interest in understanding the world of funders. The position will work closely with the President and the Director of Philanthropic Outreach to implement strategies for building and maintaining strong relationships with members, new funders, and other key stakeholders. The position will be based at Funders for LGBTQ Issues’ New York City office.
Executive and administrative support for the President.
- Manage the President’s calendar, including scheduling of meetings and booking of travel arrangements.
- Work with the President and the Director of Philanthropic Outreach to assure high-quality relationship building and efficient follow-up for the organization’s members, funders, trustees, and other key stakeholders.
- Provide administrative support for the President, including the processing of receipts and expenses, management of Expensify account, data entry, and follow-up on meetings and conferences.
Board of Directors support
- Work with the President and the Board of Directors to coordinate the logistics of all board meetings, including document preparations, travel arrangements, and venues.
- Coordinate scheduling of all board meetings and board committee meetings.
- Attend board meetings and take minutes.
- Coordinate the preparation and distribution of board documents and tools, such as board dockets, orientation materials for new board members, and demographic surveys.
Support operations and finance functions of the organization.
- Assist in logistics for meetings, convenings, and member events including preparing and shipping.
- Order office supplies as needed.
- Monthly management of accounts payable and receivable.
- Prepare electronic files for the annual audit.
Other possible opportunities and cross-team support
- Contribute to development of President’s presentations and external communications as needed.
- Participate in staff-wide projects, organizational planning, fundraising, and events.
- Participate in other meetings and activities as assigned.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and personable, combining a love of people with a love of well- organized systems. She or he will have an aptitude and energy for “managing up” for a friendly but busy executive and board of directors.
Some prior experience working in an office setting required, as well as a passion for LGBTQ philanthropy and social change. Additional requirements are as follows:
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Preferred proficiency with FLUXX database or familiarity with other donor/grantmaking databases.
- Experience with office management and working with vendors.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with MS Word and Excel; Powerpoint a plus.
- Ability to prioritize and manage ever-shifting priorities.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a semi-remote team.
Salary range is in the low $50,000s depending upon experience. Excellent benefits, including full medical, retirement plan contributions, and generous holidays and vacation schedule. Flexible work hours, including the ability to work from home occasionally, are friendly to balancing work and personal obligations.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format to the Executive and Operations position on our career page at lgbtfunders.bamboohr.com/jobs.
Calls will not be accepted.
Funders for LGBTQ Issues is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building the leadership of people of color, women, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals. Funders for LGBTQ Issues does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, age, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, or marital status.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with