The Jain Family Institute (“JFI”) is seeking an associate to join its editorial team. The associate will: edit and grow our web publication, the P henomenal World; research and write our weekly newsletter; and work collaboratively with JFI’s staff on research projects, events, and communications.
You are a good fit for this position if, first and foremost, you take a look at our publication and newsletter and are interested in what you see. You might be coming out of an undergraduate or graduate program in the social sciences, or have experience working at a publication that covers similar terrain. Our interdisciplinary work tends to focus on US policy research and international political economy—experience or wide readership in fields such as history, economics, sociology, and political science will likely be particularly helpful. JFI’s editorial work is rapidly growing, and a self-starting, curious, and resourceful approach is crucial.
The full-time position includes full benefits and a competitive salary.
If you are interested, please send the following materials to ed [email protected]:
- Resume with contact information
- Letter of interest describing your fit for the role
- Three ideas for pieces that could run on the Phenomenal World
With the exception of your resume, please do not include your name on any of your materials. For item 3, please briefly (no more than 3-4 sentences) describe each idea and suggest a possible author. We publish essays, original research papers, book reviews, and interviews, and you can suggest pieces across any of these formats.
Submit these materials at your earliest convenience. We have a priority deadline of August 1st, but will be considering applications on a rolling basis and as needed thereafter.
JFI’s editorial department has three workstreams: 1) Phenomenal World and newsletter, 2) communications and public relations, 3) editorial support for JFI’s research initiatives. In this position, 70% of your time will focus on Phenomenal World and newsletter, 30% across the other areas.
Phenomenal World: The publication is editorially independent from the Jain Family Institute. We are in the process of growing the Phenomenal World, and you will be integral to the continued development of its vision and voice. You will be involved in every aspect of the PW’s development, including:
- Soliciting pieces and assisting with the development of a roster writers
- Editing, from top edits to copy edits and proofreading
- Formatting and publishing articles using Markdown
Newsletter: Our Saturday-morning newsletter, JFI Sources, is a curated list of readings in the social sciences. Responsibilities related to the newsletter will include:
- Proposing and writing the newsletter’s main spotlight section
- Tracking academic and policy discourses
- Proof-reading, editing and formatting
- Expanding the subscription list
Communications and editorial support for JFI’s research initiatives: JFI’s three main initiatives—guaranteed income, higher education finance, and digital ethics—frequently produce new research for internal and external readers. The editorial department collaborates with the research team on editing papers, shaping op-eds, and hosting events. As in your main work, responsibilities focus on writing and editing:
- Editing research papers and other written materials
- Outreach to journalists and peer organizations
- Assisting with event coordination and promotion
- Attending strategy sessions about how to bring our work to the attention of key audiences
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong editing and writing skills
- An ability to fulfill deadlines independently and in a timely manner
- Familiarity with and interest in fields related to JFI’s work
- Graduate student or post-graduate student in the social sciences with wide ranging academic interests
- Proficiency with Mailchimp, Twitter and its advertising tools, Markdown. Familiarity with HTML and Kirby is a
- Experience working at a publication
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience
- Full benefits, including healthcare, dental, and vision, NYC Metro area transit costs covered 100% by employer, 401(k) with company matching, unlimited PTO, and more!
- Full time
- The position will be remote at least until the end of the year, though there may be opportunities, if so desired, to work from our Manhattan office on However, you will need to be present and online during your set working hours, and as needed for research meetings and presentations. Our typical hours are 10am– 6pm EST.
- You must be located in the New York City area or willing to relocate when it is safe to do so (likely in early 2021).
- If you feel you are a strong candidate for this position but can only work part time, please apply, and we can discuss hours as needed.
JFI is an applied research organization in the social sciences. We work to bring just and equitable research and policy from conception in theory to implementation in society. Our current initiatives include applied research in higher education finance, guaranteed income, and digital ethics.
JFI is firmly committed to the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO). We believe that the quality of our work and research is immensely strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, ethnicity, disability, and more. We actively seek and welcome applicants who identify as BIPOC, women, members of the LGBTQIA community, persons with disabilities, and people at the intersections and peripheries of these identities, from across the spectrum of disciplines and methods.
For details about our staff and current projects, see http://www.jainfamilyinstitute.org/.