Einhorn Family Charitable Trust (www.efct.org)
Sector: Foundations / Philanthropy
Function: General Management / Strategic Planning
Location: NY - New York metropolitan area
About the Organization
The Einhorn Family Charitable Trust (EFCT) was established in 2002 by Cheryl and David Einhorn, with the mission of helping people get along better. EFCT strives to inspire a movement of empathetic citizens who, with mutual respect and understanding, build an increasingly civil society. EFCT partners with research-backed nonprofits that nurture the positive side of human nature and provide age-appropriate opportunities for people to develop the necessary skills, orientation, and behaviors—kindness, empathy, cooperation, respect—to engage positively and productively with the people and world around them. The Trust invests in programs that have proven demonstrable results and have the ability to scale across the county.
EFCT purposefully engages a select number of high-performing nonprofit partners and makes large, long-term investments with a hands-on, relationship-based approach. The Trust works proactively and in close collaboration with each partner grantee, acting as strategic thought-partners, providing assistance and support, as well as networking across and beyond its portfolio to achieve impact.
The Trust seeks to develop partnerships that provide maximum flexibility for grantees to apply funding in ways they identify will lead to the greatest impact, recognizing that change will not happen overnight, and the need to work proactively and in partnership with its grantees to realize shared vision and goals.
By striving to provide multi-year, unrestricted, general operating support tied to specific impact goals that align with the Trust's vision, EFCT seeks investment opportunities that will enable partners to achieve exponential growth in their impact.
About the Position
EFCT seeks an experienced and creative individual to build upon and deepen its strong foundation in organizational learning and impact measurement. This is an exciting opportunity for an innovative professional with a passion for continuous learning, data-driven decision-making, and social impact. In addition to working with the Trust's partners on increasing their impact, this person will collaborate with the EFCT team on its internal tracking systems, identifying opportunities for growth, scale and improvement.
Having developed strong internal assessment and learning systems in its first decade, EFCT is looking to build upon its initial success, refining learning and assessment methodologies that serve as models for the field of social change. EFCT created a portfolio-level dashboard to gauge its overarching impact and has integrated field-wide frameworks such as the Performance Imperative into its partner assessment tools. EFCT has also orchestrated learning collaborative with several of its grantees, actively supporting their ability to assess their performance in real-time and make rapid adjustments.
Last year, in an effort to continue to improve upon its work, the Trust conducted its first Grantee Perception Report with the Center for Effective Philanthropy and learned that EFCT's approach to relationship-driven grant making and assessment of social impact has made it a positive outlier in the field. The quality of EFCT's relationships stands out across multiple indicators, and the Trust received particularly high ratings for responsiveness, transparency, fairness, approachability, and clear communication of its goals and strategies. The full report is available on EFCT's website: http://www.efct.org/grantee-perception-report.
Reporting directly to the Trust's Executive Director, the Director of Organizational Learning and Impact will collaborate closely with the Trust's Domain Leads (i.e. Program Officers), operations team, and external partners to meet these goals.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
EFCT Impact Assessment, Learning, and Continuous Improvement:
- Build upon organization-wide systems and metrics designed to ensure best-in-class performance of both EFCT and its partners
- Manage and refine measures and approaches based on insights drawn from EFCT's organizational scorecard
- Engage the EFCT team in data analysis, helping to develop and support action steps for improvement on a monthly basis
- Present data, analysis, and recommendations to Trustees on a quarterly basis
- Introduce the team to additional best practices, tools and resources, ensuring that the team is working at the cutting edge of impact measurement
Grantee Impact Assessment, Learning and Continuous Improvement:
- Lead and inspire a culture of continuous learning, coordinating colleagues and partners to leverage comprehensive data in timely and meaningful ways
- Support partners and Domain Leads in honing metrics and deliverables for investment recommendations, grant agreements, and reporting templates
- Support development and assessment of progress against investment aims along with annual key performance indicators
- Serve as a key resource and expert for both current and prospective partners on all assessment and evaluation-related work
- In partnership with Domain Leads, support grantees in managing consultant engagements, as needed, to help ensure partners achieve intended goals
Thought Leadership and Field Building:
- Lead and facilitate field-building conversations, helping to build a sophisticated understanding of approaches and best practices, leading to improved outcomes across the sector and for partners, specifically
- Develop and manage "hub" for partner support tools and resources that can be easily deployed and shared with partners
- Identify areas of challenge across partners and design/lead approaches to support them, ranging from low-touch efforts such as mutual idea sharing to high-touch efforts, such as trainings, webinars, and convenings
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of seven years of professional experience with significant experience achieving ambitious goals in a metrics-oriented, mission-driven setting
- Track record of living EFCT core values (see next page), demonstrating empathy and results-orientation in all situations and contexts
- Strong project management skills and the self-motivation to guide a project through scoping, execution, and completion while engaging the support of the team as appropriate
- Experience leading social impact assessment and quality improvement in creative, innovative ways; familiarity with a wide range of evaluation methodologies, from randomized control trials to statistical process control
- Passion for EFCT's work, with the ability to bring a strong voice and experienced professional presence to the field
- Strong communications skills, able to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences; confident, persuasive, and respectful style
- Experience working with Salesforce (or similar) for data aggregation, tracking, reporting and visualization a plus
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, approaching new relationships and organizations with humility, intellectual curiosity, patience, and respect
- Entrepreneurial spirit, demonstrating flexibility, resourcefulness, and a comfort with ambiguity
- Proactive, "can-do" attitude; self-starter who positively contributes to a learning culture and collaborative team spirit and is willing to perform the full range of tasks required in a small organization
EFCT Culture and Core Values: True to its collaborative culture, the EFCT team developed and refined its core values together and references them regularly. Using a continuous-improvement approach, the team steps into reflection mode when launching and executing projects and in the midst of daily work. They also identify when two or more values might be in tension and work to reconcile them, together.
- Live the Mission: We bring passion, energy, and joy to helping people get along better, and we live the mission in our own work as a team.
- Invest in Relationships: We build trusting, collaborative relationships. Our grantees are our partners and we provide ongoing support to help them succeed.
- Humility: Our partners are the experts and we value their time. In a spirit of partnership and transparency, we help them achieve great things.
- Action to Impact: We are focused on impact and guided by data, doing whatever it takes to help our partners achieve results.
- Big and Bold: We think big, envision what's possible, and seek out innovative and catalytic ideas to advance the mission.
- Small and Mighty: As a close-knit team, we are resourceful and nimble, quickly stepping up when opportunities arise.
- High Bar: We strive for rigor, thoughtfulness, and excellence in all that we do, holding ourselves and our partners to high standards.
- Learning and Reflection: We promote curiosity and are disciplined about reflecting on our work, seeking opportunities to learn, grow, and improve.
- Long View: The incremental progress we seek demands optimism and patience. We commit to helping our partners succeed over long time horizons.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Einhorn Family Charitable Trust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Director, Organizational Learning and Impact (EFCT)
Do you like this post?