Girl Be Heard seeks a dynamic and visionary Director of Programs to serve as a thought partner to the Executive Director in the execution of the organization’s strategic plan and help lead the organization toward fulfilling its mission and deepening its impact. The Director of Programs will inspire, lead, and manage a high performing program staff and foster a healthy culture of collaboration and excellence. They are responsible for financial oversight of all programmatic work. They will serve alongside the ED and the Artistic Director as a public spokesperson and ambassador for Girl Be Heard, representing the organization in the broader field. This is a full-time, exempt position located in Brooklyn, NY. Currently the team is working remotely fulltime. During normal operating periods, staff have flexibility to work at home at least once a week.
- Assume overall responsibility for GBH program efforts across 5 program areas, 13 physical program sites, 1 international site and virtual (online programming).
- Establish and communicate mission-driven short- and long-term programmatic goals. Ensure that a highly qualified staff successfully meets program goals.
- Guide, coach, and support the Director of Education and the Artistic Director.
- Build a team environment among all program staff.
- Oversee programmatic and pedagogical focus using Creative Youth Development
- Set program budgets and manage spending.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Head of Development and Fundraising to assess and enhance program sustainability by expanding and diversifying the existing range of funding sources and partnerships.
- Cultivate institutional and individual funders, including City Council, the Department of Cultural Affairs, and corporate sponsors.
- In coordination with the Director of Education and the Artistic Director, develop and implement a strategy to monetize the organization’s offerings.
- Develop strategic partnerships to elevate the organization’s profile and leverage opportunities to enhance the organization’s current model, programs, and resources.
- Strategically deepen and potentially widen the breadth of Girl Be Heard’s program portfolio.
- Refine systems and practices to measure, analyze, and improve efficacy of programs.
- Collaborate with development and communications staff to effectively utilize metrics and build financial support, comply with grant/governmental regulations and reporting, and increase public awareness of the organization and its impact.
- Ensure that Girl Be Heard has a consistent and active presence among relevant communities and affinity groups.
- Represent Girl Be Heard at events and conferences.
- Passion for empowering youth by helping them share their stories with the world and advance social justice issues.
- Strong candidates will have at least five years’ experience in non-profit management and program development and demonstrated experience in the following:
- Developing and managing program staff
- Holding direct reports accountable to meeting programmatic objectives
- Deep understanding of an/or experience within the creative youth development sector
- Extensive experience in classroom instruction, curriculum development, and coaching/professional development for teachers.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and demographics.
- Experience working in diverse settings and groups.
- Computer literacy: Google Apps, Dropbox, Excel, and Word required. Salesforce and QuickBooks knowledge a plus.
- Ability to tackle emerging challenges and balance conflicting priorities with a collaborative, creative, and strategic approach.
- Clearance in NYC’s Personnel Eligibility Tracking System (PETS).
Salary range is $80K-$85K, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation days and holidays, as well as Citibike membership, discounted gym memberships, and pre-tax transit benefit.
How to apply:
Send cover letter, resume, two writing samples (grant proposals strongly preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Director of Programs – (your name)” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but priority will be given to those received by August 24th, 2020.
Girl Be Heard builds leaders, changemakers, and activists. We do this through developing, amplifying and celebrating the voices of girls and young women through socially conscious theatre-making, performance, and storytelling. Girl Be Heard’s education curriculum encourages our participants to think critically about social justice, challenge stereotypes, foster friendships, and build tools for bringing about positive change in their communities. Our programs are housed in 13 sites in NYC, one global program in Trinidad and Tobago and are also accessible virtually, online.
Work Environment: We're a dedicated and energetic team that values a collegial, transparent environment. We work hard to support each other in all ways. We value innovators, people with big ideas and even bigger passion and know-how to make those ideas happen. This is a growth opportunity for the right person looking to really take ownership of an important aspect of our organization and guide us to the next level.
Girl Be Heard’s office is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn, and is air-conditioned and located in a wheelchair accessible building. Girl Be Heard seeks a broad spectrum of employees and is strongly committed to a diverse and equitable work environment. Queer individuals, trans people, people of color, and women are highly encouraged to apply. Girl Be Heard is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender identity or expression, color, national origin, ability, ethnicity, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, religion, or belief.
Learn more about Girl Be Heard by visiting girlbeheard.org or Instagram.com/girlbeheard