Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations/Chief of Staff role is an exciting opportunity for a results-oriented management professional. This role will oversee the day-day operations of the organization, including the finance, human resources, IT, legal, and facilities management functions. The ideal candidate will be a natural leader who is able to effectively manage and empower people to achieve results. The role is well suited to a continuous learner who has a demonstrated commitment and investment in teaching others. The Director of Operations/Chief of Staff will have a strong work ethic, a commitment to clear goals and measurable outcomes, an ability to learn quickly and work well in teams, and have a passion for the vision, mission, and strategies of GBH. This is a full-time, exempt position located in Brooklyn, NY, although remote candidates will be considered.
- Manage the administrative team and basic office operations.
- Oversee the measurement of the effectiveness of all management practices, processes and activities of the organization, and provide timely, accurate, and complete reports on the operating condition of the organization to the ED and the Board of Directors.
- Manage key projects and special initiatives that relate to organizational growth with a focus on infrastructure or human resources
Financial Management & Legal Compliance
- Oversee all financial and business planning activities including budget formulation and execution, and financial reporting.
- Oversee the development of the annual budget for the organization and hold directors and managers accountable for monitoring expenditures.
- Provide a high-level of support to inform decisions the organization makes around both legal and financial risks.
- Oversee the annual audit and work closely with the external auditors and Board Audit Committee.
- Oversee government contracts, including prospecting, applications, billing, accounting, and audits.
- Oversee human resource functions, including the development and implementation of effective recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, and professional development policies and procedures.
- Work with senior staff to oversee annual performance review process and ensure proper documentation of employee growth/ challenges.
- Oversee onboarding and offboarding of all employees.
IT – Information Technologies:
- Oversee procurement, administration, and maintenance of all software systems, including GSuite, Dropbox, and Salesforce.
- Oversee procurement and maintenance of all IT equipment, including desktops, laptops, printers, etc.
- General Support for Executive Director
- Act as a thought partner with the Executive Director and leadership team
- Provide guidance to staff around program and administrative issues
- At least five years’ experience in an administrative, executive position managing operations, budgets and personnel.
- Strong management skills, both strategic and operational.
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and demographics.
- Experience working in diverse settings and groups.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google docs and Dropbox.
- Database and IT systems experience required, knowledge of Salesforce, Quickbooks, Basecamp, and/or ClickTime a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Highly organized and efficient, capable of juggling multiple tasks and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for empowering youth by helping them share their stories with the world and advance social justice values.
Salary range is $95K-$100K, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, paid vacation days and holidays, as well as Citibike membership, discounted gym memberships, and pre-tax transit benefit.
How to apply:
Send cover letter, resume, two writing samples (grant proposals strongly preferred) to [email protected]. Include “Director of Operations – (your name)” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but priority will be given to those received by August 24th, 2020.
Girl Be Heard builds leaders, changemakers, and activists. We do this through developing, amplifying and celebrating the voices of girls and young women through socially conscious theatre-making, performance, and storytelling. Girl Be Heard’s education curriculum encourages our participants to think critically about social justice, challenge stereotypes, foster friendships, and build tools for bringing about positive change in their communities. Our programs are housed in 13 sites in NYC, one global program in Trinidad and Tobago and are also accessible virtually, online.
Work Environment: We're a dedicated and energetic team that values a collegial, transparent environment. We work hard to support each other in all ways. We value innovators, people with big ideas and even bigger passion and know-how to make those ideas happen. This is a growth opportunity for the right person looking to really take ownership of an important aspect of our organization and guide us to the next level.
Girl Be Heard’s office is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn, and is air-conditioned and located in a wheelchair accessible building. Girl Be Heard seeks a broad spectrum of employees and is strongly committed to a diverse and equitable work environment. Queer individuals, trans people, people of color, and women are highly encouraged to apply. Girl Be Heard is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender identity or expression, color, national origin, ability, ethnicity, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, religion, or belief.
Learn more about Girl Be Heard by visiting girlbeheard.org or Instagram.com/girlbeheard