The crisis in journalism threatens democracy — which is why we need a dramatic new approach to reinvigorating journalism, especially at the local level. Report for America is a privately-financed national service program that places talented emerging journalists into local news organizations.
The acclaimed program fielded 13 reporters in its first year and will be placing more than 50 in its second year — with an eye toward 1,000 in 2023.
The program was co-founded in September 2017 by journalist/entrepreneurs Steven Waldman and Charles Sennott as an initiative of The GroundTruth Project. It is backed by the Google News Lab, the Lenfest Institute for Journalism, the Knight Foundation, the Galloway Family Foundation and others.
We seek a Director of Local Development and Fundraising to help run this ambitious and crucially important program. Report for America is based in Brooklyn, NY. The GroundTruth Project is based at WGBH in Boston.
Lead efforts to generate support from local and regional funders and work with local news organizations to raise local philanthropic support. Reports to the President of Report for America.
- Raise money from local and regional foundations for the Report for America program
- Work with local news rooms to identify and solicit funds from local philanthropy (foundations, individuals, corporations) to provide the “local” share for Report for America reporting positions
- Work with GroundTruth’s Development Officer as well as the CEO of GroundTruth to generate support for Report for America in general and to coordinate with the Ground Truth’s development strategy.
- Several years of experience in nonprofit development
- Experience in training or teaching (to help train local news organizations how to advance their local fundraising efforts)
- Passion for, and familiarity with, the cause of local journalism
This job is based in Brooklyn, N.Y.
To apply, please fill out this form: https://reportforamerica.submittable.com/submit/134674/director-of-local-development
Questions about this position may be directed to [email protected]
Report for America is an initiative of the GroundTruth Project, which is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with