Founded in 1982 as the world’s first food rescue organization, City Harvest is dedicated to helping feed the nearly 1.4 million New Yorkers facing hunger. City Harvest will collect 55 million pounds of excess food from restaurants, grocers, bakeries, manufacturers, and farms, and deliver it free of charge to 500 community food programs across the city this year. In addition to helping meet the immediate need for food, City Harvest takes a long-term approach to fighting hunger by partnering with residents, local organizations and businesses through Healthy Neighborhoods programs which increase the availability of affordable fruits and vegetables in low-income communities and provide the nutrition education and resources to maintain a wholesome, food-secure diet.
City Harvest is preparing to launch a new strategic plan, which will see the organization grow its impact on the fight against hunger in New York City. City Harvest’s Institutional Giving currently generates more than $8 million in grant revenue annually from foundation, organization, and government sources. The successful candidate will lead a three-person team to meet and exceed revenue targets, manage the expense budget, develop and execute strategies to grow donor engagement, and recruit and cultivate pipeline donors for future years.
The successful candidate will be an, experienced fundraiser who is self-motivated, highly organized, creative, and energetic, with excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills and impeccable attention to detail.
The Director, Institutional Giving will work alongside the Director, Business Partnerships as an integral member of the nine-person Corporate and Foundation Relations team, responsible for raising more than $11 million annually. This position is based at our office in Midtown Manhattan.
- Direct strategy for robust institutional giving program.
- Oversee portfolio of foundation funders at the five-, six-, and seven-figure level including management of communication and cultivation for current and prospective funders.
- Provide both personal stewardship and support for the Chief Executive Officer, Chief External Relations Officer, and Senior Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations in strategically managing their portfolios.
- Develop and implement strategies for pipeline prospect solicitation that will grow annual revenue from foundation, organizations, and government.
- Establish and monitor performance towards projections, fundraising goals, annual and six-month benchmarks and work plan.
- Supervise and guide grant writer, working collaboratively to produce top-caliber narratives.
- Establish and maintain expert knowledge of City Harvest programs and be able to effectively communicate our work.
- Monitor local and national news, philanthropic, and business publications, keeping abreast of relevant trends and how they might impact City Harvest and/or its donors.
- Responsible for special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years of institutional fundraising experience with demonstrated success onboarding and stewarding five-, six-, and seven-figure gifts and overseeing a multi-million dollar revenue budget.
- Demonstrated success as an effective leader who is able to coach a dynamic team towards continued personal and professional growth.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Results-oriented, highly innovative, strategic thinker.
- Very comfortable working with numbers.
- Commitment to building strong relationships with individuals at all levels and job functions (both inside and outside of the organization).
- Excellent project management, oral, and written communication skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail with superb organizational skills.
- Highly responsive, proactive, timely, accurate and thorough in follow-through.
- A commitment to the nonprofit world and a desire to learn about how programs benefit the communities they serve.
- Willingness to approach challenges with a good attitude and with a sense of humor.