Reporting to the Managing Director and Executive Director, the Director of Individual Giving develops and executes the individual giving strategy for Tribeca Film Institute (TFI). This position involves cultivating and soliciting individuals to support TFI. It involves managing TFI’s relationships with prospects and donors by cultivating and engaging them with the best of the organization and marketing TFI to them in an authentic, imaginative way.
TFI is an event-heavy organization. Having someone with demonstrated experience in the field who excels at event planning and donor relations is most important for this position. The role involves overseeing and soliciting for TFI’s annual gala as well as its VIP passholder process leading up to and during the Tribeca Film Festival. The position requires someone who is highly proactive and possesses a unique attention to details large and small.
Additional responsibilities include management of the donor database (Salesforce) and engagement and communication with TFI’s board members. The Director of Individual Giving also manages a Development Associate.
Ideal candidates are highly motivated team players and possess not only the requisite experience, but also superb writing skills, good judgement, strong attention to detail, and a commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion across the organization.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
Events Coordination and Fulfillment (50%)
- Plan and execute TFI’s fundraising events
- Liaise with the Design Director to create print materials such as invitations, tickets, programs, and other promotional materials
- Manage a team of seasonal coordinators, assistants, and festival staff as part of VIP pass holder (“Orange Hat/Z Pass”) process
- Collaborate with various departments at the Tribeca Film Festival to secure reserved seating and special access for VIP attendees
- Provide donors and VIPs the highest level of customer service in order to cultivate and maintain contributions to TFI in the long term. This may include answering questions about the Festival’s programming and schedule, assisting with RSVPs, troubleshooting any problems on site, and taking care of special requests to ensure guest satisfaction
Fundraising and Donor Engagement (40%)
- Develop and execute TFI’s short-term and long-term individual giving strategies and set goals with the Executive Director and Managing Director
- Create and manage budget and work to lower revenue-to-expenditure ratio
- Solicit and manage individual donors for TFI’s fundraising events
- Communicate with TFI program heads to identify specific individual sponsorship opportunities and needs of the department
- Oversee management of TFI’s donor database (Salesforce)
- Communicate and engage with TFI’s board members including organizing the Development Committee and Nominating and Governance Committee phone calls (thrice yearly for each committee)
- Create opportunities for strategic and meaningful engagement with donors and programs as appropriate
- Invite prospects and past donors to year-round TFI programmatic events
- Plan and execute TFI cultivation events
- Identify additional year-round cultivation opportunities within TFI’s programming
- Research and identify prospects
- Communicate with board members to help make connections to TFI prospects
- Attend relevant events to meet potential prospects
- 5+ years of significant experience in event planning and coordination
- Interest in and ability to effectively communicate with and solicit donors
- Excellent judgment, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills paired with a desire to develop and mentor staff
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong listening skills
- Composed under pressure
- Upbeat personality
- Detail and deadline-oriented, with an ability to work well under pressure and with all types of people
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Previous experience with Salesforce preferred
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree required
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position with some after-hours, weekend work, and (minimal) travel required. TFI intentionally considers candidates from historically underrepresented communities including ALAANA (Asian, LatinX, African, Arab, and Native American) populations and people with disabilities.
Compensation: Salary is dependent on experience. A comprehensive benefits package includes leave time, health insurance, transit benefits, and office closing at 2:00 pm every Friday during the summer.
TO APPLY: Candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “[NAME] – Director of Individual Giving” in the subject. No phone calls please.