Next Street: Where teamwork and entrepreneurship meet
Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the engines of inclusive growth in underserved markets. Serving as trusted advisor to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations, we are a mission-driven consulting firm bringing strategic and financial expertise to grow small business.
We look for professionals who aim to combine their diverse backgrounds and experiences with a passion for mission, offering our team members an unparalleled opportunity to work at the intersection of doing well and doing good. Next Street is a for-profit ‘business for good’ and a certified B Corporation with offices in New York City, Chicago, and Boston.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a critical member of the Next Street Management Team, reporting to the CEO. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager who will lead and develop an internal team, driving execution and outcomes in the following areas: finance, operations, business planning and intelligence, HR and talent, and marketing and communications. In partnership with the rest of the Management Team, the Director will also play a key role in firm decision-making, especially as Next Street executes on its new strategic plan. This is a tremendous opportunity for a financial and operational leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization looking to scale over the next 3-5 years. Initially, the Director will have a direct reporting team of four (Finance & Operations Manager, Senior People Manager, Senior Marketing & Communications Manager, and the Corporate Business Analyst) with team-wide oversight of seven.
You will bring an integrative leadership perspective to the team as you oversee and manage across the following internal functions for the firm.
Manage all strategic and day-to-day activities related to accounting and finance, working in strong partnership with the Finance & Operations Manager.
- Manage the firm-wide budget and forecasting processes, including annual planning and periodic re-forecasts
- Provide senior direction for preparing and interpreting ongoing financial reports, running projections, and creating financial models
- Understand and communicate financial results and trends to management, and recommend appropriate courses of action when results vary from forecast
- Proactively lead the development (and fine-tuning) of key financial analyses and insights to help enable the company to meet its strategic goals
- Oversee the routine financial management of the firm: AR and AP functions, payroll, expense processing, cash management, annual audit needs, tax filings, and overall maintenance of the books
- Implement continuous improvements and streamlining across the firm’s financial operations
- Assist in the process for future fundraising and/or M&A transactions, as relevant
Leverage the full Corporate team to ensure that Next Street’s IT, legal, compliance, governance, and office administrative activities are managed day-to-day.
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of corporate business procedures according to organizational objectives and apply improvements
- Serve as liaison to the firm’s external general counsel and internal point-person for all legal related matters that arise
- Ensure that the company remains in compliance across all required filings, registrations, certifications, and regulations ongoing
- Support the CEO in managing firm governance and communications with board members or investors
- Manage the firm’s technology infrastructure, leveraging the internal administrative team and our external outsourced relationships
- Oversee all general office administration activities across Next Street’s multiple offices
Business Planning & Intelligence
Manage the Corporate Business Analyst to execute on Next Street’s business planning and intelligence needs, ensuring that firm-wide systems, infrastructure investments, and reporting suites are aligned with strategic business goals.
- Oversee the development, maintenance, and refinement of key management reports and dashboard analytics to drive real-time knowledge and decision-making
- Manage the design, implementation, and maintenance of firm systems and data management approaches
- Seek continuous improvement and streamlining, setting up scalable systems that enable Next Street’s to meaningfully grow efficiently and effectively over time
- Launch the creation of an internal impact measurement system, consistent with the firm's new strategic plan
HR & Talent
Oversee the development of Next Street’s talent and culture across teams and offices, as well as build out the firm’s HR infrastructure, working in strong partnership with the Senior People Manager.
- Provide strategic guidance for the function, ensuring integration across talent initiatives and alignment with firm priorities
- Oversee the team in day-to-day execution of the firm’s people-related infrastructure such as recruiting, training, retention, and advancement activities
- Ensure that all HR Administration activities remain efficient, effective, and compliant, leveraging both the internal team and external outsourced relationships
Marketing & Communications
Oversee activities related to building Next Street’s brand and presence in the market, working closely with the Senior Marketing & Communications Manager and raising critical opportunities and challenges with the broader Management Team.
- Provide thought partnership in developing and refining the firm’s overall strategic marketing and communications plan, ensuring integration across team efforts and alignment with firm goals
- Oversee the team in day-to-day execution of the plan
- Ensure efforts and investments made are consistently monitored, measured for success, and refined as needed over time
We are looking for someone with:
- 10+ years of experience in financial strategy and business operations management, with a preference for experience in a professional services environment
- Bachelor’s degree from a top university; Master’s degree and/or related advanced certifications preferred (e.g., CPA)
- Financial and operational modeling experience including three statement models
- A masterful grasp of Excel; overall proficiency with Microsoft Office
- An ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker, with strong critical thinking and problem-solving capacities
- An ability to analyze and integrate multiple data sources into decision-ready formats, interpret data, identify issues/opportunities, and implement solutions
- An affinity for continuous improvement and exploration of new approaches, solutions, or technologies
- Meticulous attention to detail with outstanding planning and organizational skills
- The ability to work across disciplines to generate new solutions and/or resolve issues
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated experience mentoring, coaching, and managing a team with diverse backgrounds and experience levels
- Entrepreneurial drive; a self-reliant team leader who can effectively manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Next Street’s Board of Managers, and staff
- A passion for Next Street’s mission and creating impact at the intersection of doing well and doing good
To apply, visit http://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=NEXTSTREETMA&cws=1&rid=162
Be the first to comment
Sign in with