Next Street: Where teamwork and entrepreneurship meet
Next Street was founded in 2005 with the belief that small businesses are the engines of inclusive growth in underserved markets. Serving as trusted advisor to some of the country’s most dynamic organizations, we are a mission-driven consulting firm bringing strategic and financial expertise to grow small business.
We look for professionals who aim to combine their diverse backgrounds and experiences with a passion for mission, offering our team members an unparalleled opportunity to work at the intersection of doing well and doing good. Next Street is a for-profit ‘business for good’ and a certified B Corporation with offices in New York City, Chicago, and Boston.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be a critical member of the Next Street Management Team, reporting to the CEO. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager who will lead and develop an internal team, driving execution and outcomes in the following areas: finance, operations, business planning and intelligence, and HR administration. In partnership with the rest of the Management Team, the Director will also play a key role in firm decision-making, especially as Next Street executes on its new strategic plan. This is a tremendous opportunity for a financial and operational leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization looking to scale over the next 3-5 years. Initially, the Director will have a direct reporting team of three (Finance & Operations Manager, HR Administrator, and the Corporate Business Analyst) with team-wide oversight of four.
You will bring an integrative leadership perspective to the team as you oversee and manage across the following internal functions for the firm.
Manage all strategic and day-to-day activities related to accounting and finance, working in strong partnership with the Finance & Operations Manager.
- Manage the firm-wide budget and forecasting processes, including annual planning and periodic re-forecasts
- Provide senior direction for preparing and interpreting ongoing financial reports, running projections, and creating financial models
- Understand and communicate financial results and trends to management, and recommend appropriate courses of action when results vary from forecast
- Proactively lead the development (and fine-tuning) of key financial analyses and insights to help enable the company to meet its strategic goals
- Oversee the routine financial management of the firm: AR and AP functions, payroll, expense processing, cash management, annual audit needs, tax filings, and overall maintenance of the books
- Implement continuous improvements and streamlining across the firm’s financial operations
- Assist in the process for future fundraising and/or M&A transactions, as relevant
Leverage the full Corporate team to ensure that Next Street’s IT, legal, compliance, governance, and office administrative activities are managed day-to-day.
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of corporate business procedures according to organizational objectives and apply improvements
- Serve as liaison to the firm’s external general counsel and internal point-person for all legal related matters that arise
- Ensure that the company remains in compliance across all required filings, registrations, certifications, and regulations ongoing
- Support the CEO in managing firm governance and communications with board members or investors
- Manage the firm’s technology infrastructure, leveraging the internal administrative team and our external outsourced relationships
- Oversee all general office administration activities across Next Street’s multiple offices
Business Planning & Intelligence
Manage the Corporate Business Analyst to execute on Next Street’s business planning and intelligence needs, ensuring that firm-wide systems, infrastructure investments, and reporting suites are aligned with strategic business goals.
- Oversee the development, maintenance, and refinement of key management reports and dashboard analytics to drive real-time knowledge and decision-making
- Manage the design, implementation, and maintenance of firm systems and data management approaches
- Seek continuous improvement and streamlining, setting up scalable systems that enable Next Street’s to meaningfully grow efficiently and effectively over time
- Launch the creation of an internal impact measurement system, consistent with the firm's new strategic plan
Oversee the administration of Next Street’s HR infrastructure across teams and offices, working in strong partnership with the Senior People Manager.
- Ensure that all HR activities remain efficient, effective, and compliant
- Oversee the HR Administrator in the day-to-day execution of the firm’s HR operations, including:
- Compliance policies, record-keeping, and risk management activities
- Compensation, benefits, and wellness program administration
- Employee relations and resources management
- Coordination and utilization of outsourced HR vendors / partners
- Evaluate and upgrade as relevant firm outsourced partnerships, systems, or tools to further streamline and improve the effectiveness of the team
- Partner with the Senior People Manager to support and implement broader talent strategies in alignment with firm priorities (e.g., recruiting, training, retention, and advancement activities)
We are looking for someone with:
- 7+ years of experience in financial strategy and business operations management, with a preference for experience in a professional services environment
- Bachelor’s degree from a top university; Master’s degree and/or related advanced certifications preferred (e.g., CPA)
- Financial and operational modeling experience including three statement models
- A masterful grasp of Excel; overall proficiency with Microsoft Office
- An ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker, with strong critical thinking and problem-solving capacities
- An ability to analyze and integrate multiple data sources into decision-ready formats, interpret data, identify issues/opportunities, and implement solutions
- An affinity for continuous improvement and exploration of new approaches, solutions, or technologies
- Meticulous attention to detail with outstanding planning and organizational skills
- The ability to work across disciplines to generate new solutions and/or resolve issues
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated experience mentoring, coaching, and managing a team with diverse backgrounds and experience levels
- Entrepreneurial drive; a self-reliant team leader who can effectively manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional written, oral, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Next Street’s Board of Managers, and staff
- A passion for Next Street’s mission and creating impact at the intersection of doing well and doing good
To apply, visit the Next Street career office - http://nextstreet.com/careers.
Next Street is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with