Astrea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
New York, NY
Summary: The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice (New York, NY) seeks an experienced Director for Development to lead our fundraising programs that support the global rights of LGBTQI movements for social justice. This senior fundraising professional will lead a five-person development team in securing $10 million in annual support. The Director of Development will oversee individual, institutional fundraising and special events, and support government funding by working closely with other management leads. The Director will support the board of directors, manage a portfolio of major donors, and be able to mentor staff and support the Executive Director in fundraising activities. This position reports to the Executive Director.
About Astraea: Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is in our strongest fiscal position ever to support the work of grassroots LGBTQI activists around the world. We are the only philanthropic organization exclusively advancing human rights globally, with a focus on lesbian, trans and intersex issues and people of color. Our community of diverse stakeholders and deep relationships have allowed us to support grassroots organizations in over 90 countries and 40 states. Beyond grant making, we develop leadership, bring activists together across geographies and geo-political circumstance, as well as offer training in communication technologies and media strategies. Astraea also supports individual artists through our Global Arts Fund. We are a leading global organizer of the LGBTQI philanthropic community, advocating for increased resources to fully realize our human rights.
- Implement a robust fundraising plan to raise $10 million in annual support.
- Work with the Executive Director and development team’s frontline fundraisers to increase our Reserve and Endowment Funds.
- Drive the components of Astraea’s 40th Anniversary Celebration in 2017 and beyond to increase major donors, provide more interactive cultivation and stewardship of individuals, increase the number of major donors and strengthen our major donor program, broaden our base of monthly sustainers, and build our nascent corporate outreach program.
- Support the Executive Director's, Board members' and Committee members’ involvement in prospecting and major gift solicitation.
- Identify and cultivate prospective donors, including foundations, individual donors, corporations, and governments.
- Manage a portfolio of lead donor prospects, many in partnership with the Executive Director and Board.
- Liaise with and steward donors who established Donor Advised Funds.
- Monitor the annual fundraising plan, budget and cash flow, as well as other operational components and make adjustments to strategy as needed.
- Work with the Communications team to produce written and online fundraising collateral; maintain the integrity of Astraea’s messaging and case for support.
- Participate in Astraea's Management Team, working cooperatively with other senior staff on organization-wide management issues.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in fundraising, including success with individual major gifts, annual fund programs, and institutional fundraising. Knowledge of planned giving a plus.
- Experience developing and evaluating multi-million dollar fundraising plans and budgets, and managing multiple restricted revenue streams simultaneously.
- Understanding of the LGBTQI funding landscape and community activism; previous relationships with LGBTQI funders a plus.
- Ability to review and edit proposals and cultivate and steward relationships with program officers on a face-to-face level.
- Understanding of the public foundation landscape, including donor-advised funds, field of interest funds, designated funds, reserve and endowment funds, etc.
- Ability to develop and manage your own portfolio of donors and prospects, and experience closing multiple gifts of at least $25,000 and above from individuals. Someone who has been actively “out the door” raising funds from major donors.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and raising over $5M annually.
- Leadership in coaching staff and volunteer fundraisers in successfully cultivating prospects and closing gifts.
- Previous experience with a growth investment campaign, reserve or endowment campaign, or comprehensive fundraising campaign a plus.
- Strong partnership building and special event planning skills; Astraea will have two large 40th events in 2017 and small cultivation events across the US.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer literate with a strong understanding of fundraising databases; working knowledge of The Raiser's Edge a plus.
- At least five years of experience effectively supervising staff, including remote staff.
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently, proactively, creatively and respectfully with multiple constituencies and audiences.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Must be based in the New York City office and have ability to travel.
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of the Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice.
The successful applicant will work well in multicultural teams, a gender fluid environment and have experience working with diverse constituencies; will be self-motivated, work collaboratively with others, manage well (up and down) and be able to handle several projects at one time; have good judgment and an incredible sense of humor.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience, with a very competitive benefits package including retirement benefits.
How to Apply: Please send résumé and cover letter to: [email protected]; include “Director of Development” in the subject line. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of color, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.