For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
The ideal candidate has a visionary and compelling approach to digital engagement strategies in advocacy, fundraising, social media, and campaigning, and strong project management and analytical skills necessary to implement those strategies. They see technology as a creative tool for social change and are passionate about and experienced in working at the intersection of digital, advocacy, and membership-based organizing. This is a highly collaborative position, working closely with RAN’s climate, forest and partnership programs, their campaigns, and communication and development departments. The ideal candidate will thrive at coordinating inter-departmental teams, being able to work across differences, and can gracefully manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced campaigning environment.
RAN is headquartered in downtown San Francisco but employs staff across the country and internationally. Currently, the majority of the RAN Digital team work remotely — which means the ideal candidate will have experience managing remote staff. This position needs to be based in North America. If the ideal candidate is not based in San Francisco, they will be required to travel to San Francisco regularly for orientation, staff retreats, board meetings, etc.
The Digital Director will serve on RAN’s Leadership Team and report to the Deputy Executive Director. This leadership position supports the organization across all departments driving online advocacy campaigns, organizational identity, supporter engagement and online fundraising growth.
The Director will be responsible for the following:
- Management of Digital Department: Supervise digital department staff, and any outsourced technology contractors by providing strong leadership, cohesion, capacity building, professional development and leading the department’s annual planning. Manage department’s budget and vendors.
- Management of Digital Assets: Support and advise, as needed, team’s management of all RAN digital assets and digital presence, including website, blog, social media accounts, online advocacy tools,
CRM, and email program. Drive the evolution of the digital engagement by identifying and pursuing appropriate innovative tools, approaches and strategies, while maintaining a balanced sustainable workload for the digital team.
- Organizational Leadership: Serve on RAN’s Leadership Team, collaborating with and supporting the Executive and Leadership team on setting and implementing organizational priorities while representing the digital team’s vision and needs.
- Drive Online Fundraising: Responsible for spearheading RAN’s digital fundraising and overseeing organizational budget and revenue, in coordination with Finance and Development staff. Implement plans to continually and optimally engage and grow RAN’s membership list and supporter base. Collaborate with the Development department to ensure a positive return on investment from a diversified and robust online fundraising program.
- Analytics/Data: Lead the department and organization in implementing a culture of data-driven decisionmaking. In consultation with the digital production, campaigning, and fundraising staff, develop key performance indicators, metrics and tools ensuring data-driven decisions across all digital channels.
- Strategic Communication: Collaborate with Communications department, Small Grants and Climate and Forests Programs to help develop messaging arc that connects and engages RAN’s supporters.
- Promoting RAN's Theory of Change: Possess a strong grasp of social movement theory, and RAN’s approach to securing systemic reforms in the marketplace.
Compelling candidates will have strong organizational and team management skills. They will also possess a deep knowledge and desire to continually explore innovations in digital and offline supporter engagement, particularly in the nonprofit sector. Familiarity with and interest in climate issues, environmental justice, corporate accountability, human rights, and nonviolent direct action strategies are needed in achieving the goals of this position.
Experience and skills required:
. 7+ years of experience in managing a digital department that includes remote staff
. Exceptional ability to lead organization-wide initiatives and annual work planning
. Proven experience and success with digital fundraising
. Experience and expertise with issue advocacy campaigns.
. Ability to oversee websites, digital data management, campaign tools, and outreach initiatives and supporting staff in curating creative, effective multimedia content for web, mobile and social media platforms.
. Experience with digital advocacy campaigns that integrate online and offline strategies.
. Ability to manage both the big picture and the details required in a technological department.
. Strong background managing online supporter acquisition, retention, and stewardship, including deep knowledge of digital ads program that is goal and metrics driven.
. Ability to work fast and smart, with exceptional prioritization, time and project management skills.
. An energetic, entrepreneurial nature that combines curiosity and creativity with a learning attitude, analytical skills and technological savvy
. Strong capability to share knowledge, successfully communicate ideas and collaborate with diverse teams.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
Target salary range is intended to be between $90K and $105K with the final salary determination being based on candidate experience, overall qualifications and geographic location. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer-funded HSA), vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks paid time off (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3-month paid sabbatical.
Please apply directly below:
Deadline to apply is January 31st, 2018. We hope to be conducting phone screens and interviews over Feb and early March.