The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity. The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups across the globe. Our grantmaking, capacity building, philanthropic advocacy, and media and communications programs promote and support the work of lesbian, trans, intersex and LGBTQI organizations to challenge oppression, promote justice and claim rights.
This is a key position in Astraea’s Development Department, responsible for maintaining and increasing support from foundation and government sources in collaboration with the Director of Institutional Partnerships. The Development Officer, Institutional Giving manages all aspects of foundation and government funding, including conducting prospect research, writing proposals and reports, maintaining current relationships with funding institutions and cultivating new ones. This position requires a strategic thinker with excellent writing and editing skills, and attention to detail. The successful candidate will be able to multi-task, meet deadlines, and have a collaborative and flexible work style.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Lead and manage proposals, all reports, and correspondence with foundation and government funders
• Develop detailed dynamic and compelling written proposals, reports and budgets and accurately represent Astraea’s new and ongoing programs to external audiences through these and other written materials
• Manage annual grants calendar and historical records for all proposals, acknowledgements, and reports, engaging program, development and finance staff in the process.
• Cultivate relationships with current foundation program officers to further engage them in Astraea’s work
• Research, identify and cultivate new foundation prospects, including tracking public funding opportunities, conducting research and outreach by phone and email; and submission of letters of inquiry and full proposals, as appropriate
• Ensure compliance with grant requirements, in partnership with the program and fiscal teams.
• Build relations with the philanthropic community, donors and peers through networking opportunities and monitor on-going global philanthropic trends
• Maintain deep knowledge of Astraea’s programming through relationships and collaboration with program staff
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned from time to time
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Demonstrated track record of securing and managing foundation and government grants
• Strong understanding of the philanthropic sector
• Proven ability to write clear and compelling proposals, reports and other communications with funders and prospects
• Strong research capacity; ability to interpret, analyze, and represent complex issues in donor-friendly language;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships.
• Self-motivated, with the ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines.
• Strong commitment to Astraea’s mission
- People of color, trans and gender non-conforming people, intersex people, women, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Authorization to work in the United States is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send cover letter, resume/CV, and salary requirements to[email protected] by February 29, 2016. Please include Development Officer in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants considered for interviews will be contacted.