The Opportunity Network (OppNet) is looking for a dynamic and driven fundraising professional to join our team as Development Coordinator. We are looking for a candidate who brings relevant skills and interest to the role, maturity and ownership of their work, and is looking for an opportunity to seize a career-enhancing opportunity in a fast-paced, growing organization. Reporting to the Development Manager and working closely with the Director of Institutional Advancement, the Development Coordinator will work to cultivate, steward, and grow OppNet’s portfolio of foundation and corporate supporters. As a key member of OppNet’s development team, the Development Coordinator will play an important role in driving OppNet toward its $8M goal this year and its ambitious growth ahead. Further, the Development Coordinator will participate in and meaningfully contribute to organization-wide initiatives and cross-functional responsibilities as they relate to OppNet’s ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) work.
Founded in 2003, OppNet ignites the drive, curiosity, and agency of underrepresented students on their paths to and through college and into thriving careers, powered by our commitment to access and community. OppNet connects students from historically and systematically underrepresented communities to college access and success, internships, career opportunities, and personal and professional networks through our two programs: 1) OppNet Fellows, an intensive six-year-long program starting in 10th grade through to college graduation and 2) Career Fluency® Partnerships, our immersive capacity-building program for schools and youth-serving organizations across the U.S. looking to accelerate college and career readiness for their young people.
The candidate will be a strategic and driven individual with a passion for educational equity. The candidate should demonstrate the ability to meaningfully support the full lifecycle of institutional fundraising, including prospecting and research, cultivation and stewardship, and, significantly, proposal and report writing. He or she should possess excellent, clear, and compelling written and verbal communication skills, keen project management abilities, organization and attention to detail, professionalism and discretion, initiative and resourcefulness, strength in prioritizing and multi-tasking, and the ability to think creativity, critically, and strategically. The candidate must also balance working collaboratively with colleagues across the Development team and organization with the ability to work independently with focus and a drive for quality.
The ideal candidate will also personally connect to the important work we do and value diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) across the organization. The candidate will demonstrate DE&I values by actively participating in all organizational-wide learning sessions and self-reflection as well as working with others to enact changes that contribute to meeting the organization’s DE&I goals.
Support Development Manager and broader team to:
- Research new institutional funding prospects for program initiatives, capacity building, and general support grants
- Write and edit high-quality letters of intent, proposals, and applications, and submit to funders on schedule
- Draft and edit high-quality grant reports, and submit to funders on schedule
- Maintain crisp, clear, updated files on institutional funders and prospects
- Coordinate communications and visits with funders and prospects to build relationships throughout the year
- Track trends in New York City and national philanthropy and monitor giving to likeminded organizations
- Liaise with program teams and other departments to maintain up-to-date knowledge/understanding of program activities, outcomes, and needs, and to keep teams abreast of funding opportunities and grant awards, including, as appropriate, reporting implications and needs
- Meaningfully participate in OppNet’s DE&I working groups and other projects to help advance OppNet’s organization-wide commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- As needed, assist with volunteer, visibility, and employee engagement opportunities throughout the year
- Provide additional support to Development and organizational projects
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2-3 years of professional fundraising experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PC)/Excel
- Excellent and persuasive verbal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Maturity, professionalism, integrity, ownership of work
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, evolving environment with precision and flexibility
- Strategic and critical thinker who approaches challenges in creative ways and with thoughtful solutions
- Commitment to OppNet’s mission and the social change sector
- Comfort in team-oriented environment with open communication and constructive feedback
- Respect for confidential information
- Positive attitude and resilience, and strong desire to produce results and high degree of effectiveness—gets things done!
Commensurate with experience, plus generous paid time off policy, medical benefits, retirement benefits, accruable comp time, and a great work environment.
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and available start date, to [email protected]. Please put “Development Coordinator” in the subject line.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with