The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world - particularly those led by lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, Astraea has granted over $46 million to LGBTQI activists and artists in our 43-year history.
POSITION DESCRIPTION (Full time 35 hrs/wk with benefits)
Are you passionate about mobilizing resources for grassroots movements? A strong writer and impeccably detail-oriented? Interested in building fundraising skills? We are looking for you to join Astraea’s close-knit, committed, and leaderful Development team!
Building on a decade of institutional and programmatic growth, Astraea is excited to be bolstering our Development team as part of a holistic strategy to support our long-term sustainability as a resource partner to our movements. The Development Associate, Partnerships will augment our institutional and individual giving, with a focus on foundation and government partnerships. Supervised by the Associate Director of Institutional Partnerships, the Development Associate will collaborate closely with all members of the Development team as well as Program and Finance staff to help raise our $13M annual budget.
This position is based in New York City; however, candidates may be temporarily based elsewhere during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Manage detailed grants tracking calendar and lead internal coordination across the Development, Program and Finance teams to ensure timely submissions of proposals, reports and other materials
- Develop, write and assemble proposals, reports and other materials for foundations and major donors
- Support the implementation of moves management for institutional partnerships
- Conduct prospect research to identify potential new institutional funders and major donors
- Manage reporting and internal and external communication for donor-advised funds
- Maintain relevant donor files in Box and records in Raiser’s Edge, including tracking funder interactions
- Support the planning and execution of funder engagement activities, such as webinars and panels
- Provide scheduling assistance for external and internal meetings
- Carry out administrative tasks for institutional and individual giving, such as supporting donor acknowledgments and mailings
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields
- Outstanding writing and research skills; experience with grant writing or communications for fundraising a plus
- Superlative attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Ability to work efficiently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- High standard of computer literacy and competence with applications such as Microsoft Office Suite, Google Office Suite and Microsoft Box. Experience with databases such as Raiser’s Edge a plus
- Experience with constructing budgets and/or tracking revenue a plus
- Experience with fundraising or part of a fundraising team a plus
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing domestic and global LGBTQI, feminist and racial, economic and gender justice movements
- Passion for Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and women’s fund
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The hourly compensation is $30.22/hr totaling $55,000 annually. This position is eligible for Astraea's generous benefits package. U.S. work authorization is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com with “Development Associate, Partnerships” in the subject line, or submit via the form on our website by November 28th, 2020. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted. If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to participate in a writing exercise as part of the hiring process.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We strongly encourage all to apply, especially Black, Indigenous and People of Color; lesbian, bisexual, queer, trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities.
For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.