The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world - particularly those led by lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, Astraea has granted over $46 million to LGBTQI activists and artists in our 43-year history.
POSITION DESCRIPTION - Full time (35 hrs/wk with benefits)
Are you passionate about mobilizing resources for grassroots movements? A lover of systems, data, and details? Interested in building fundraising skills? We are looking for you to join Astraea’s close-knit, committed, and leaderful Development team!
Building on a decade of institutional and programmatic growth, Astraea is excited to be bolstering our Development team as part of a holistic strategy to support our long-term sustainability as a resource partner to our movements. The Development Associate, Operations will bolster the team’s overall operations, with a focus on supporting database management. Supervised by the Senior Donor Systems and Database Manager, the Development Associate will collaborate closely with all members of the Development team to strengthen our data management, donor communications, and overall effectiveness.
This position is based in New York City; however, candidates may be temporarily based elsewhere during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Database Support
- Manage all data entry, including gift recording and coding and updating of donor records
- Generate pledge reminders and invoices
- Produce timely and accurate donor acknowledgment letters/tax receipts
- Batch cash, check, and credit card donations for the Finance Department, and support the Senior Donor Systems and Database Manager with monthly reconciliation
- Assist the Senior Donor Systems and Database Manager with the production of reports and lists
- Respond to donor queries related to gift processing
- Support Raiser’s Edge uploads of data from frontline fundraisers
- Other Operational Support
- Support logistics and project management for donor campaigns (digital and/or print)
- Support the planning and execution of virtual events with individual and institutional donors
- Manage the Development team’s online files
- Support management of the Development work plan and budget
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- High standard of computer literacy and competence, specifically with Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word and Excel); knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or similar database (examples: Salesforce, Financial Edge, Donor Perfect, Trailblazer, etc.) a plus
- A passion for data and administration
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in social justice, human rights, development and/or philanthropic fields; experience with fundraising or part of a fundraising team a plus
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize work and to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Ability to work efficiently and collaboratively as part of a team; excellent interpersonal skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Experience with constructing budgets, and/or tracking revenue a plus
- Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing domestic and global LGBTQI, feminist and racial, economic, and gender justice movements
- Passion for Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and women’s fund
Astraea offers a competitive salary and benefits for this position, including resources for professional development. The hourly compensation is $30.22/hr totaling $55,000 annually. This position is eligible for Astraea's generous benefits package. U.S. work authorization is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to [email protected] with “Development Associate, Operations” in the subject line, or submit via the form on our website by November 28th, 2020. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted. If you are selected for an interview, you may be asked to perform a skills-based test in Microsoft Office as part of the interview process.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. We strongly encourage all to apply, especially Black, Indigenous and People of Color; lesbian, bisexual, queer, trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.