The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world - particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to build powerful movements for justice. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 40-year history we have granted over $40 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Astraea is seeking a Development Associate to support our fundraising activities and grant writing aimed at foundations and governments. We are looking for an individual with an aptitude for writing and a strong commitment to growing Astraea’s institutional giving. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic about mobilizing resources for LGBTQI movements, interested in a career in development and ready to jump into a fun, supportive and team-oriented work environment. Supervised by the Senior Development Officer for Institutional Giving, the Development Associate will join a dynamic Development Team of seven that raises more than $9M yearly through institutional giving, major gifts, events, annual campaign and more. People of color, lesbian, bisexual and queer women, trans and gender nonconforming people, intersex people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Develop, write, and assemble concept notes, proposals and reports for foundation and government funders
- Maintain detailed grant tracking and grants calendar
- Maintain relevant donor files and Raiser’s Edge records, including tracking funder interactions
- Conduct prospect research to identify possible new institutional funding sources
- Develop materials to support ongoing funder stewardship
- Help to plan and execute funder engagement activities
- Communicate with funders and institutional partners
- Lead internal coordination across teams to meet proposal and report deadlines
- Support management of Astraea’s Donor Advised Funds program
- Other duties as assigned
- Outstanding writing and research skills; experience with grant writing or communications for fundraising is a plus
- Superlative attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines
- Ability to work efficiently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- High standard of computer literacy and competence
- Experience with constructing budgets and/or tracking revenue is a plus
- Experience in social justice, human rights, development and/or philanthropic fields
- Commitment to and some knowledge of issues facing domestic and global LGBTQI, and racial, economic and gender justice movements
- Passionate about Astraea’s mission as a public foundation and women’s fund
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Based in New York City or willing to relocate
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume/CV, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com in .pdf, doc, or .docx format or submit via the form on our website by September 7, 2018. No phone calls, please – only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.