Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Start date: Immediately
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Green City Force (GCF) seeks a passionate, effective professional with a minimum of two years of development or relevant related experience. As Development Associate, you will report to the Chief Development Officer and be an essential part of driving development and communications for GCF. You will be responsible for supporting revenue generation from individual donors, foundations, corporations and government grants towards an annual budget of $2.8 million. You will develop fundraising systems as the database manager and gift processor. You will draft, edit, and manage the production of a full range of social media and marketing materials to effectively support the advancement goals of the institution and to convey GCF’s mission to diverse constituencies. If you are goal-oriented, detail-minded, and thrive on pursuing big challenges as part of a dedicated and high- powered team, this role is for you.
ABOUT GREEEN CITY FORCE
Green City Force (GCF) breaks the cycle of poverty, preparing urban young adults to succeed in their chosen careers by engaging them in service, training and work experiences related to the clean energy economy. GCF simultaneously addresses three imperatives –unemployment and the lack of prospects forfamily‐supporting careers among low‐income youth; changes to theurban environment that must be made to mitigate climate change; and stimulation of the green economy through awareness-raising and individual behavior change. GCF has garnered local, state and national attention for the achievements of our Corps Members and graduates, young adults who reside in public housing and through GCF, make measurable impact towards city climate action goals while gaining skills to launch their careers. GCF was named Most Innovative Nonprofit in NYC by Mayor Bloomberg and White House Youth Jobs + Champion of Change. General Stanley McChrystal said “GCF is a national model for engaging Opportunity Youth in national service.” President Clinton said of GCF: “This is a big deal…you can do this in every city in America.” The Environmental Advocates of New York, The Environmental Protection Agency, and The New York City Employment and Training Coalition have recognized our team and program. GCF has garnered the support of leading funders of cutting edge social change models, from Blue Ridge Foundation NY, to Robin Hood Foundation, Draper Richards Kaplan, Arbor Brothers, public and private partners. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as part of a dynamic team.
- Draft letters of interest, grant proposals, newsletters, and stewardship letters to prospective funders, current funders, and other GCF stakeholders
- Manage development calendar and track deadlines for funding opportunities
- Project manage major grant proposals
- Draft grant reports for existing funders
- Manage the fundraising database: ensure that all development-‐‐related information is entered accurately and in a timely fashion; track correspondence and meetings with donors; design and run reports to support development efforts
- Conduct prospect research to identify potential funders for Green City Force
- Perform all back‐end work on individuals, foundations, corporate, and government grants (research, track, thank)
- Provide oversight of development team’s weekly meetings and follow up items
- Maintain scheduling, gift acknowledgement, and stewardship
- Work on special projects and annual fund mailings
- Manage fundraising events and site visits, and organize volunteer days and events for corporate donors
- Manage the GCF website, social media platforms, blogs, photo archives, newsletter, and slide show presentations.
You have a passion for social change and a commitment to excellence. You are motivated to work collaboratively and do what it takes to get results, and thrive in a fast‐paced environment. You love to write, have superior organizational skills, and have demonstrated your capacity to multi-task and manage projects effectively. You are flexible, high‐energy, goal-oriented, andknow how to build relationships. A bachelor’s degree and proficiency in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and Google‐based applications are required. You’ve had experience with data management and administrative work; Salesforce.com fluency is highly desirable but not required.
- A team player with a passion for professional growth and for excelling in this field
- Aligned with Green City Force’s mission, vision and values of service, training and academics, sustainability, social and economic justice
- An excellent writer with strong verbal communication skills
- Experienced in initiating and managing projects through to completion with positive results
- Familiar with writing proposals and have exposure to nonprofit development
- Familiar with data management and administrative work
- Calm under pressure and effectively juggle tasks and deadlines
- A strong relationship manager and have ability to connect with a range of GCF stakeholders including individual and institutional funders, Corps Members, Opportunity Youth, Board Members, staff, and employment partners.
COMPENSATION: The Development Associate is a full‐time, salaried position with benefits and a vacation package. Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the Subject Heading: “GCF Development Associate Applicant”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.