Green City Force’s (GCF) mission is to break the cycle of poverty, preparing urban young adults to succeed in their chosen careers by engaging them in service, training and work experiences related to the clean energy economy. GCF is seeking an energetic, organized, high-performing, and motivated individual to join our organization as a Development and Communications Assistant. We are looking for someone who is passionate about social, economic and environmental justice, and who believes in the power of effective and inspiring communication. We need a dynamic self-starter who understands that fundraising and communications are the engines that help our programs come to life.
This person will report to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and will be an integral part of a small, passionate, fun, and hardworking team. The right candidate will be focused on raising awareness of GCF’s programs among current supporters, growing the network of future supporters, and helping GCF meet our fundraising goals, which include raising over $4 million each year from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government sources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Major gifts: support the CDO and Executive Director through the phases of research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of existing major donors and new prospects.
- Corporate sponsors: support the Executive Director, CDO and Development and Communications Manager in identifying, securing, and executing revenue-generating corporate partnerships with a focus on businesses that are aligned with GCF’s mission and values.
- Events: assist the CDO and Development and Communications Manager in the planning and execution of fundraising and cultivation events. Staff and attend events as needed.
- Donor visits: facilitate meetings and program site visits with existing donors and prospects.
- Donor database and tracking: maintain donor and prospect records including data entry and updates. Generate reports and lists for mailings, events, and donor engagement.
- Donor communications: prepare timely acknowledgement letters and other related correspondence.
- Grants: maintain a calendar of deadlines for grant reports, renewals, and new proposals. Assist with drafting LOIs, proposals, and grant reports as needed.
- Research: gather and synthesize research on major donors and new prospective funders, sponsors, event attendees, and other key stakeholders.
- Materials: assist with the development of print and digital fundraising materials.
- Strategy: in partnership with the Development and Communications Team, execute a communications and PR strategy that increases awareness of and support for GCF’s programs.
- Writing: write, design, and produce all e-blasts, including program updates, monthly newsletters, board updates, and event invitations.
- Social Media: gather, edit, and write content for GCF’s website and social media platforms.
- Materials: manage the design and production of print and electronic materials for events and programs.
- Website: manage and implement regular website updates using WordPress, including online event ticketing and donation forms.
- Press: Field and direct press inquiries as needed; organize and document GCF press coverage; and keep press kits and files current.
- CRM: manage and update Salesforce CRM on a regular basis.
- Digital Assets: manage, archive and organize photographs, video, and presentations.
- Manage organizational calendars, including events and deadlines to ensure staff delivers all activities in a timely manner
- Organize and maintain internal files in a timely and easily accessible fashion
- Assist in preparing board and committee meeting materials and attend meetings as needed
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A passion for social justice, and GCF’s mission
- Undergraduate degree
- 1-2 years of experience in nonprofit communications or fundraising
- Excellent writing and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Experience using databases
- Excellent ability to consistently meet deadlines, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and turn around assignments quickly without compromising quality
- Willingness to work in a small, lean team of self-starters, and work through the weeds when crunch-time hits
- Experience with creating project plans, setting goals and deadlines, and keeping a team on schedule to meet deadlines
- Motivated self-learner with exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Excellent computer and research skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, social media platforms, Google office products
- Must be able to work a few evenings and weekends as necessary
- Experience with WordPress, the Adobe creative suite, Salesforce, HTML and CSS
- A strong interest in national service, sustainability, youth development, public housing and low income communities
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Green City Force (GCF) is an AmeriCorps program that engages young adults from New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) communities in national service related to the environment. In doing so, we prepare them for sustainable careers, while serving to make public housing communities more sustainable and healthier, creating the green city we want to see. Green City Force’s large-scale service initiatives reach thousands of residents while creating a platform for our members to grow and lead. Through Farms at NYCHA, GCF teams grow and distribute over 20K pounds of organic produce in six public housing communities across the City. Love Where You Live has reached tens of thousands with sustainability education in homes. Since 2016, we have been expanding our social enterprise to create employment pathways for GCF graduates into good jobs in the clean energy sector. GCF’s EmPower team, entirely graduate-staffed and led, won an excellence award from NYSERDA in 2018 and GCF’s Illuminators are helping to retrofit NYCHA home by home. GCF graduates, who number over 400, are employed in leading companies in the clean energy and urban agriculture sectors. To learn more, please visit http://greencityforce.org/
GCF has garnered awards and recognition at every level, including Most Innovative Nonprofit in NYC. This is an opportunity to join an organization with a proven track record, strong growth potential, and a positive organizational culture for personal growth and collective impact as part of a dynamic team.
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Green City Force is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. Green City Force is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
GCF is an Employer of National Service. We recognize the value of skills gained during national service and alumni of national service programs are encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION: This is a full time position with eligibility for benefits including paid vacation and holidays, paid sick leave, and health/dental insurance.
START DATE: September 4, 2018 or when the position is filled.
TO APPLY: Please email your resume, cover letter, and three references (include name, relationship, phone number, and email address) to [email protected]. Please indicate the position you are applying to in the subject of your email. No phone calls please.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with