WHO WE ARE
Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors (RPA) is a nonprofit organization that currently advises on and manages more than $200 million in annual giving by individuals, families, corporations, and major foundations. Continuing the Rockefeller family's legacy of thoughtful, effective philanthropy, RPA remains at the forefront of philanthropic growth and innovation, with a diverse team led by experienced grantmakers with significant depth of knowledge across the spectrum of issue areas. Founded in 2002, RPA has grown into one of the world's largest philanthropic service organizations and, as a whole, has facilitated more than $3 billion in grantmaking to nearly 70 countries. RPA also serves as a fiscal sponsor for more than 50 projects, providing governance, management and operational infrastructure to support their charitable purposes. For more information, please go to www.rockpa.org.
WHO WE SEEK
We seek an experienced accounting professional that will be proactive, self-directed, with the ability to work in a stand-alone role and as part of a team, and who sets a high bar for himself/herself and the work product. Candidate should demonstrate commitment to RPA’s values of integrity, diversity, quality and trust.
Partnering with the CFO, the Controller designs, implements and manages internal controls and financial policies and procedures. The Controller serves as a resource to the organization on finance and accounting content knowledge and best practices and provides financial education to the finance team and the broader organization.
The Controller provides leadership, guidance, professional development and supervision to the accounting team. This role is responsible for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial reports including internal and external monthly financial statements in accordance with GAAP. Manages and maintains a strict deadline to close the financial activities of the month, including the preparation and analysis of the monthly balance sheet and statement of activities. Reviews monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliation of all accounts.
The role oversees all aspects of our general ledger including revenue accounting, accounts payable, investment allocations and fee assessments. The Controller manages the external audit, reviews and/or prepares audit workpapers, is point person for auditors and prepares the audited financials. In addition, the Controller gathers information and prepares detailed analysis required for our outside accountants to prepare the Form 990.
The Controller is responsible for regulatory compliance and deadlines associated with 1099 production, A-133 audits and the production of the 990 tax return.
This role works very closely with operations staff and relationship managers, answering inquiries and providing financial information and also supports budgeting and forecasting, as requested. This role also works very closely with vendors to support financial software and will create and manage business processes for optimum workflow efficiency and strong internal controls.
BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting; CPA required.
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
- Strong commitment to RPA’s values and mission
- Minimum 5 years of relevant management in non-profit accounting
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and internal controls
- Demonstrated experience with nonprofit operations, including accounts payable and account reconciliation
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness, with strong work ethic
- Ability to manage numerous project simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Commitment to hiring, managing and developing a diverse team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with experience presenting to senior management and board
- Proactive, hands on manager that can manage intricate details with strategic purpose
- Strong customer service mentality, with a commitment to being responsive, courteous and thorough
- Advanced Excel skills, with proficiency in all Office products
- Energetic with a sense of humor
- Familiarity with grantmaking, charitable funds or fiscal sponsorship preferred
Apply Online at www.rockpa.org/careers