To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by Fri, August 12.
Resource Generation (RG) is seeking a full-time senior level Communications Director to create and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to support our organizing and campaign work.
The ideal candidate has experience with: using communications as an integral strategy to win campaigns, national membership-based organizing, and mobilizing a diverse base through compelling messaging. This candidate has experience with building a communications plan from scratch and leading an organization to shift from mostly internal communication to its members and base to external communication to the public. This candidate is familiar with and effective at working with young people (ages 18-35).
Location:. Location is flexible with preference for applicants who are based in or willing to relocate to NYC.
Compensation: Salary range starts in the low $60,000s. Generous benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance, 403(b) plan, and three weeks of paid vacation.
- Campaign messaging: Lead communications efforts as an integral strategy to win national campaigns
- Works closely with the Campaign Director to creating talking points, framing, media releases, and media outreach efforts around our campaign issue(s) and organizing
- Responsible for creating and leading around long term communications strategy in alignment with national campaign work aimed at shifting the national debate around race and class through traditional and new media
- Build strategic relationships with key national journalists who cover our issue areas, with both traditional and new media outlets
- Drive media outreach and press coverage for national campaign events and activities in partnership with lead organizers
- Lead our rapid response communications strategy: create a plan to assess when and how we pivot or speak out at strategic movement moments and respond to quickly shifting political landscape and events
- Strengthen overall organizational messaging
- Build strong and consistent talking points and messaging across all of our work that explains who we are and what we do as a multi-racial, cross-class membership organization that organizes young people with wealth
- Ensure our messaging appeals to a broad range of experiences of wealth to support our outreach, including people who have inherited wealth, people who are involved in their families’ philanthropy, young people of color with wealth, and high-income earners
- Build a cohesive narrative arc around all aspects of our work including chapter organizing, national retreats, campaigns, and leadership development
- Serve as a strategic resource for chapters
- Regularly consult with the directors of the organizing team and national organizers to develop clear messaging guidance, technical assistance materials and trainings, and communications plans about our campaigns for our chapter leaders
- Train chapter leaders to be spokespeople for RG
- Manage online and print communication
- Create system for archiving photos, videos, testimonials, and quotes
- Negotiate and manage relationships with graphic designers, videographers, printers and other vendors to provide consistent, professional materials including annual report and campaign collateral
- Gather, edit, and post all website, blog and newsletter content to ensure current and compelling content
- Provide content for all social media posts
- Help with drafting semi-annual fundraising appeal messages
- Serve as a senior organizational leader of RG
- Participate in semi-monthly strategy team meetings to shape organizational direction and advise on key programming and campaign work
- Serve as key organizational spokesperson
- Identify ways to improve staff skills and capacity around media and communications (train staff or identify external support)
- 4+ years of experience in communications, particularly in campaigns (could be volunteer, not necessarily full-time employment experience)
- Experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans
- Ability to teach communications skills to others and commitment to contributing to the knowledge and skill set of the broader RG network
- A clear vision of and commitment to the possibilities of utilizing communications in base-building for movement-building organizations
- Media relations experience with proven results and experience working with reporters in both traditional and new media
- Experience with developing framing, messaging, and talking points for diverse audiences in challenging media and political environments
- Exceptional writing and editing skills for multiple platforms online and offline
- Results-oriented: someone who gets it done, who is persistent, creative, and solutions-oriented no matter what the obstacles are
- Ability to manage multiple projects and timelines well
- Team-player: manage own workload while responding to emerging and ongoing organizational needs, be flexible and open to shifting priorities and timelines, able to work effectively in a virtual office.
- Basic understanding of class, classism, and their own class identity
- Demonstrated commitment to economic and racial justice
- Belief in the importance of organizing young people with wealth to become leaders in movements for justice
Be the first to comment
Sign in with