We’re looking for an excellent writer and external-facing communicator with 4-5 years experience in non-profit, philanthropy, impact investing or a related sector. The ideal candidate will be confident, self-motivated, organized, and eager to join our passionate, impact-driven, and humor-loving team.
About Open Road
The world is unpredictable. No matter how rigorous your planning, at some point events may throw you off script. Yet, the philanthropic financial market is not structured to deal with the unexpected. As a result, money is wasted and impact gets lost.
To address this need, Open Road exclusively makes investments when a mid-implementation project encounters an unexpected roadblock or opportunity. We provide the necessary fast, flexible capital to help organizations overcome the frequent obstacles that threaten to derail impact. Through this strategy we seek to maximize both financial leverage and social return. Our strategy supports projects across all sectors and geographies.
In addition to cultivating our portfolio, we conduct research, generate data, share our learnings, and advocate amongst our peers. Our goal is to mainstream ‘managing risk’ as a ubiquitous concept in philanthropy. To accomplish this goal, we develop and disseminate best practices for the assessment and management of risk with the goal of protecting the integrity and impact of the original project.
The Communications Associate will work directly with the Open Road team to manage and support the organization’s communications, research and advocacy initiatives, and general programmatic needs. The Communications Associate will be responsible for providing direct support and execution of advocacy initiatives and producing a variety of external-facing marketing and other communications. The Associate will also conduct research, produce digital content, manage Open Road’s website and other communications platforms, and provide additional programmatic support as outlined below.
Open Road is a 21st Century work environment and does not operate out of a fixed office. Our team works remotely, utilizing multiple communication technologies, with frequent in-person meetings. We offer flexible schedules and prioritize a healthy work-life balance without compromising quality and results.
Research & Communications (50%)
- Research, write, format and produce weekly content for Open Road’s communication platforms including: case studies, website copy, quarterly e-newsletter, press releases, and draft blogs.
- Conduct interviews with foundation executives, non-profit CEOs, and other stakeholders to generate case studies and other content.
- Manage Open Road’s Twitter account, providing regular content and growing Open Road’s follower base.
- Project manage the execution of third party research, and directly assist in the drafting and production of publications including final reports and articles, as needed.
Advocacy Support (40%)
- Assist ED and Fund Director with coordination of advocacy initiatives including: complex scheduling; external communications; event logistics; drafting talking points and emails; note-taking; preparing brief post-event/meeting; and other duties.
- Conduct desk research and prepare internal briefs on potential Foundation and/or non-profit partners.
- Work with Fund Director to draft copy for external consumption around risk including partnership proposals, press releases, website copy, and additional advocacy-related collateral.
- Provide direct support to Open Road ‘Ambassadors,’ as determined by Fund Director. Includes scheduling; external communications, drafting talking points, providing event logistical support; and other duties.
- Research key topics related to risk management, as directed, to support advocacy activities. Write syntheses for internal or external consumption.
- Assist Fund Director in coordinating calendars and scheduling meetings with internal and external stakeholders, as relates to advocacy and research efforts.
- Compile agendas and preparatory briefings for meetings, travel, and conferences.
- Be the glue that keeps us organized and on track!
Social Media Administration (10%)
- Pro-actively manage and maintain all of Open Road’s digital communication platforms including: website, e-newsletter, and Twitter.
- Project manage redesigns and upgrades to Open Road’s website on an annual basis.
- Manage and maintain Open Road’s universal address book and mailing lists in MailChimp.
Other duties and projects as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum 4-5 years experience in a formal office setting, ideally philanthropy, non-profit, impact investing, or other
- Experienced researcher and writer with track record of producing external-facing content such as, published articles, op-eds, blogs, case studies, and website content.
- Experience with Social Media management and content production
- Experience with event planning and detailed execution of programs and initiatives
- Experience directly interfacing with high-level executives and other external audiences
- Experience with MailChimp, and/or WordPress, preferred
Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics:
- Excellent attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills
- Highly communicative, proactive approach to work assignments
- Critical thinker
- Self-directed and able to work in a remote environment
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Good sense of humor
- Absolute and unquestioned integrity
Position Location & Travel:
This position may be based remotely in Washington, DC or the greater NYC area.
Must be able and willing to travel domestically up to 10% for in-person meetings, conferences, and/or other events.
Compensation & Title
This is a full-time salaried position with comprehensive medical, retirement, and other benefits.
Budgeted salary range for this position is $65,000-75,000 with final offer to be based on the individual candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Official position title is also subject to the final candidate’s qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
- Email résumé and cover letter to email@example.com
- Ensure the subject states “Communications Associate—[YOUR NAME]”
- Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please allow up to two weeks to be contacted. We regret that we are not in a position to personally respond to all applicants.