Timing is everything. Is this your time to lead?
Chaloner has partnered with PRSA, the nation’s leading professional organization serving the communications industry, on the search for their next CEO.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for all program, financial, and operational aspects of the organization. Reporting to and collaborating closely with PRSA’s Board of Directors, the CEO will guide the development and implementation of PRSA’s strategic vision and plan as well as the programs and policy positions necessary to support the membership. Further, the CEO will serve as an effective steward of PRSA’s resources, both fiscal and personnel, to ensure PRSA is well-positioned to achieve its objectives and meet member needs. The CEO will lead the strategic direction and overall management of this enterprise with an annual budget of approximately $14 million and a 45- person staff.
A seasoned leader and manager, the CEO will be expected to work effectively with the Board and the staff to further develop program and service offerings that will be valued by PRSA members of today, as well as attractive to potential members. The CEO will also work to foster strong relationships with aligned organizations and to identify opportunities for partnership. The successful candidate will develop an internal culture focused on innovation, accountability, empowerment and mutual respect. Further, the CEO will serve as an inspirational and visionary leader who will motivate, develop, hire and retain an outstanding staff.
Founded more than 70 years ago, PRSA is the principal advocate for industry excellence and ethical conduct and provides its nearly 30,000 professional and student members lifelong learning opportunities and leading-edge resources to enhance professional connections and support them at every stage of their career.
PRSA’s career-enhancing initiatives and programming include the annual PRSA International Conference, in-person workshops, on-demand training, webinars, accreditation, awards, thought leadership, a members-only online community (MyPRSA), resource library and award-winning publications.
Through these initiatives, PRSA brings together the profession’s collective disciplines and strengthens professional connections through Chapters, Districts, 14 Professional Interest Sections and other communities. PRSA is collectively represented in all 50 states by 110 Chapters, which are organized into 10 Districts.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversight of the day-to-day operations (financial, strategic, managerial, HR, technologic) of PRSA.
- Work closely with volunteers and senior staff, evaluate existing PRSA programs and content, make recommendations for potential opportunities that PRSA could pursue, and oversee the implementation of new programs, certifications and other educational offerings.
- Serve as a spokesperson, in partnership with PRSA volunteer leaders, for PRSA and ensure a consistent image of the organization.
- Develop and execute, in collaboration with the Board, a thoughtful strategy that will ensure PRSA is well-positioned for future growth.
- Continue to expand the membership and reach of PRSA, attracting new members and coalition partners, as well as retaining existing members.
- Identify and help generate new/enhanced sources of revenue.
- Excel at building and fostering meaningful relationships with PRSA members, volunteer leaders, staff and potential partners who interact with the field of public relations and communications.
- Increase recognition of PRSA as the thought leader and networking hub for knowledge and information, best practices and events related to the public relations profession.
- Anticipate, embrace and manage change in the external and internal environments affecting PRSA.
- Review and adjust PRSA’s business operations and make appropriate changes where needed to allow cost-efficient operations. Deploy technology strategically to deliver PRSA services and information to members and key constituents.
Strategic Leader and Visionary Capability
The successful candidate will...
- Be a strategic thinker who will work effectively with PRSA’s Board, its members and leadership team to set strategic priorities and methods to reach those goals.
- Have a proven track record of setting priorities and leading organizations or teams to success, effectively turning strategy into action and experience transforming organizations to meet market changes.
- Have experience crafting new programs and services that delivered increased value and enhanced relationships with customers/members.
- Be able to shape and articulate the vision of the PRSA of the future and enhance its current platform to become an even stronger voice for the public relations profession more broadly.
Relationship Builder and Unifier
- The successful candidate will have a pedigree of proven success in motivating and inspiring key stakeholders of an organization, issue or industry.
- The successful candidate will be an excellent listener, demonstrating respect for others and, in turn, gaining their respect.
- Throughout their professional and personal lives, the successful candidate will have developed positive and productive relationships, decisively built consensus and engaged people in institutions in a variety of settings.
Managing Teams and Budgets
- The candidate will have the operational management skills to effectively lead the organization from a business perspective, to ensure that PRSA’s goals are met.
- The successful candidate will have a style that fosters a culture of engagement and empowerment, openness and mutual respect with both staff and members.
- The CEO will have successfully run complex organizations or large teams from a fiscal and personnel standpoint. A sense of business acumen will be required to effectively oversee the business services of the organization.
- In addition to their significant external roles, the successful candidate must be viewed, particularly by staff and members, as an individual who will “roll up their sleeves” and be a hands-on leader.
- The CEO will have a strong understanding of organizational governance and best practices, and the ability to work with the Board and staff to ensure PRSA is functioning as efficiently and effectively as possible, leveraging the expertise and talent of its stakeholders.
Please apply online here: https://chaloner.com/searches/#!/d1731cae-3582-40a2-8104-4cbb80a7f8ba/detail