Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) is a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latino communities across the Americas. HIP connects and convenes funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinos as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 600 organizations and leaders.
Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) seeks an Associate Director of Communications to develop communications strategy for the organization and identify and lead opportunities to engage HIP’s members and partners. The Associate Director will be a communications strategy leader with strong writing and editing skills who will shape and oversee the production of content, website/social media, and public relations that help HIP and its members build equity, leadership, and voice for Latinos. The Associate Director will be responsible for a wide range of services that enhance the organization’s mission and promote critical issues of importance to HIP’s constituency.
- Work across the organization to educate and engage staff in effective use of strategic communications.
- Work closely with HIP staff to assess communication goals and needs, and craft strategies to meet them.
- Design outreach campaigns for project initiatives, identifying goals, audiences, channels, and messaging.
- Manage and improve HIP’s website.
- Advocate for clear and compelling, insight-driven content across platforms.
- Oversee and innovate the production and publishing of content (including e-mail marketing, newsletters, blog, and social media), produce content for and secure in media outlets, and ensure it has a high standard of clarity and accessibility.
- Create a marketing plan and materials for membership services that helps HIP recruit and retain members and partners.
- Advise and assist with HIP’s annual gatherings.
- Provide guidance to other staff in conceptualizing and mainstreaming network development activities.
- Interact closely with HIP senior leadership; present at meetings and advise on strategy.
- Represent the organization at events and work to enhance coordination and collaboration with other organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree; Masters preferred.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- 7 or more years of communications experience, preferably within philanthropy, nonprofits, social impact sector, or public service.
- 3 or more years of management experience.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for HIP’s mission.
- Advanced experience with all levels of communications and platforms, including social media, and superior organizational skills; experience accomplishing communications goals within a timeframe and budget, which may include managing consultants and vendors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and comfort with public speaking.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- The ability to think both abstractly and concretely, including comfort with ambiguity while still accomplishing meaningful results.
- Ability to travel within North America, including Mexico, 1-3 times per month.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position requires 5+ hours per day sitting, meeting, and computer keying. Most work is completed in an office setting, and ability to travel to meetings, trainings, networking events is required.
HIP offers a range of benefits for full time employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K matching, commuter check benefits, workers compensation, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time. Part-time employees are eligible for vacation, sick, and holiday pay according to the terms in the benefits handbook, as well as 401K matching, workers compensation, and discounts on services.
How to Apply:
Please email the following materials to [email protected] Include your name and the title for this position (“Your name – Associate Director, Strategic Communications”) in the subject line of your email.
Thoughtful cover letter explaining why you’re the right fit for this role and organization, including:
- Your available start date
- 2 short writing samples that showcase your ability to write clear, concise, and compelling content with a high level of analysis and creativity for different audiences
- 3 references available upon request during the application process