For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The Associate Director reports directly to the Director of Finance and serves as a member of the financial management team, which includes the Controller/Director of Accounting and Investment Manager. The Associate Director manages the annual budget process; serves as a key financial liaison with the ACLU’s affiliates; provides staff support to various Board Committees; and assists with the preparation of interim and year-end financial statements with supporting schedules. The Associate Director has one direct support.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares the annual consolidated budget and forecasts by meeting with various programmatic areas to review revenue and expense actual results, forecasts, and proposed budgets and assess the financial impact on the overall organizations strategic objectives.
- Monitors programmatic adherence to budgets.
- Prepares financial information for Development department’s use in making funding requests and to report on use of funds.
- Ensures that business processes and practices are followed by providing accurate financial analysis to support the organization in decision making and future business strategies.
- Serves as the key leader in annual revenue reconciliation process between National and its Affiliates, ensures that the process is consistent with the current revenue sharing rules, and provides support and training to National and affiliate staff regarding the revenue sharing rules and revenue reconciliation process, as needed.
- Administers affiliate grants and loans program, including working with affiliate staff to assess financial needs, and monitors compliance with the loan agreements.
- Reviews the allocation of shared resources between the organization’s 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) entities to ensure costs are properly attributed between the two entities.
- Tracks 501(c)(3) lobbying activities to ensure compliance with the organization’s election under IRS 501(h).
- Develops, recommends, and implements financial policies, practices, and process changes when required.
- Produces training materials and provides training to staff on financial systems, including third-party budgeting, invoicing, and time and expense reporting systems.
- Maintains third-party cloud based budgeting, invoicing, and time and expense reporting systems.
- Undertake special projects as assigned.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant experience and BA/BS degree is required, preferably in Accounting or Finance.
- Ability to influence thinking or gain trust and cooperation others in sensitive situations.
- Ability to explain complex financial concepts to non-financial staff.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and verbal skills.
- Serves as process owner; ability to identify cross-functional issues.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize.
- Attention to detail.
- Able to represent organization and interface with all levels of staff at national office and affiliates.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, advanced skills in Microsoft Excel preferred.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference [ADMU-14] in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address. This email address is specific to Administration and Finance Department. In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact:email@example.com. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
The ACLU comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation are national organizations with the same overall mission, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU.”